Motorbikes and the inside lane

moby, Dec 8, 4:00am
Just been crawling up that parking lot called the Southern Motorway and wondering about that 1-2 metre wide "lanette" between the rumble strip and the centre divider. Can one get pinged for riding on it ! If so, why!.

74nova, Dec 8, 4:36am
Yes cause its not a 'lane'.

kazbanz, Dec 8, 4:42am
Actually its even simpler than the answer from nova. Its FAR more costly to ride in that "lane" . This is because the centre and the far left is where all the nails and screws and busted glass etc end up. You will have roughly one puncture a month from doing so. Most people scoff at this. But go have a look at the tyres on police bikes--theese guys are regularly on one or the other hard shoulder.

saxman99, Dec 8, 4:49am
If you stray over the white line that marks the edge of the road you can get pinged for "Failing to remain fully within a lane".

richard198, Dec 8, 10:10am
What's wrong with age old and tested technique of lane splitting!

moby, Dec 8, 7:12pm
Nothing at all except that when the traffic is moving so glacially slow that some car driver might step out for a quick ciggie :-)

rednsr, Dec 8, 9:48pm
I do it. The ciggie thing , not the lane splitting.

doublek, Dec 8, 9:52pm
As I understand it, the technical acceptance of legal lane splitting is that you need to have the lane divider to the right of your bike i.e. being overtaking a car on the right hand side of the lane. The problem with that is that the majority of drivers seem to have difficulty staying to the left of their lane, making the MC lane split to the left of cars.

bitsy_boffin, Dec 8, 10:01pm
Yes lane splitting is pretty grey too
1. if the vehicles are stopped, then technically you can pass on either side, technically
2. if the vehicles are moving, then you must pass on the right (if you are in the same lane)

Unfortunately cops don't always know the rules, or make them up as they go along, so even if you do everything right, you can still get pinged.

rednsr, Dec 8, 10:06pm
I happen to know the motorway cops in auckland don't really give a toss about lane splitting unless you are going to quickly.

crzyhrse, Dec 8, 11:02pm
Correct and correct.

richard198, Dec 8, 11:03pm
Do I look boverred!
Just do it! It's the unwritten right of every biker, to move to the front of the queue. The same guys who have to endure the rain and crap in the air deserve a little payback!

rednsr, Dec 8, 11:16pm
I lane split on one wheel. The front one.