FREEING GUMMED UP RINGS!

glyn4, Dec 13, 7:38am
Got an 82 Honda CX500 which was blowing smoke a fair bit. Changed the heads, new valve guides, seals etc and smoke has stopped. However it's using oil like it's free. Havn't done a compression test yet but I'm thinking as a result of the seals being stuffed for so long, carbon has gummed up one or more rings. Mind you the motor has 95,000 kms on now, but they should do a bit more than that by all accounts before a full stripdown.I was wondering if there is any way to try and loosen up the rings with any additive/chemical! Even pouring something neat into the bores and then doing an oil flush to get all the gunk out! Does using one of those high detergent oils do something similar!

m16d, Dec 13, 7:50am
When I bought my CBX, which had been sitting in a collection for 20 years or more, a mechanic told me to run Moreys oil stabiliser in it for a short time in case the rings were "gummed up".
So I did that, it runs sweet now,but maybe there was never anything wrong in the 1st place.

glyn4, Dec 13, 8:21am
Just Seen on the net, many people have have tried a piston soaker solution. Some use stuff called "Castrol supercleaner" it has "lye" as an active ingrediat.
I've also read that this is quite corrosive to aluminium! Anyone use such a solution to free up rings or take carbon off valve covers etc!i

topper, Dec 13, 10:37am
"Lye" isconcentrated sodiunm hydroxide.Be careful. really nasty agressive stuff.

intrade, Dec 13, 6:39pm
x1
dont use wrong things or you wont have any rings left after.I reccon there is nothing you can do appart from a more heavy oil if the engine allowes for this. otherwise it is pulling pistons and mesure boor with a 3 point micrometer and checking ringsand piston also with micrometer and eyes of course

kazbanz, Dec 13, 11:37pm
glyn--you have an engine with a wet clutch so a lot of products can't be used or itll be bye bye clutch.
A couple of suggestions though besides new oil rings.
1) make sure the air breather pipe from the crankcase is able to do just that --ie theres no blockage or oil in the airbox.
2) silly I know but make sure you check the oil levelo correctly-Ie its not overfilled with oil

lapin, Dec 14, 2:34am
A tablespoon of brake fluid down each cylinder does wonders when left overnight. Smokes on starting.