1996 Corona Premio thoughts! Any known issues!

rainbow.umbrell, Dec 14, 9:10am
Is there any known issues with 1996 Toyota Corona Premio's! Am looking to buy our first car to go around the city with. Hows the fuel efficiency, compared to say, a Starlet or Bluebird! # 430215029 is the one we're keen on. What would you guys recommend for a good reliable car around ~$5000, just for going along the motorways and around the city.
Thanks in advance!

mugenb20b, Dec 14, 9:21am
16 year old car for $4.5k! I don't think so. Good, reliable car though provided you look after it. It uses more fuel than a Starlet and about the same as a Bluebird.
A car for driving on motorways and around the city for $5k! That's up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with. I on the other hand would get a 5 speed manual VW Golf GTi, or a Fiat Punto with a 6 speed CVT transmission.

r15, Dec 14, 9:24am
I know someone whos had one since 98. Still faultless

mellisa2000, Dec 14, 10:27am
If it is a "D4" Engine, do not buy it. They are not designed to run in NZ with our fuel and conditions. They become expensive to repair, and idle poorly due to carbon-ing up of the intake and cylinder head. A real nightmare.
Being a 1996, may be before the D4 engine, but check on that. No engine pics in photos.Be suspicious.

r15, Dec 14, 6:47pm
Yeah 96 is pre d4. If its 2 litre its just a plain old 3sfe

kazbanz, Dec 14, 7:56pm
MAAATE-- you need your early morning coffee to wake up:-)
96 is well before D4. Basicly a bigger toyota corolla

OP 5k is right up there price wise for a 96 car but it is likely to give years of trouble free driving which is worth concidering when buying
IMO the corona was a tiny bit more thirsty than the bluebird

kazbanz, Dec 14, 8:10pm
Op If you are looking to buy a "town" car and then perhaps later a "big" car and you plan to keep it awhile then I'd seriously be looking at the Nissan sunny.pulsar,lucino range of csrs. Smaller and lighter weight than the corona making for better fuel exonomy

trdbzr, Dec 14, 9:00pm
A friend of mine had one. Its quite spacious, very reliable and surprisingly economical as well. But yeah if you are looking for a Premio then avoid a D4 one. Its better than a Corolla IMO.

rainbow.umbrell, Dec 14, 9:48pm
Thanks! I'll make sure to avoid the D4 engine, and am also looking at the nissans now. What mileage and what age car should I be expecting if I want to pay $6.5k tops!

richard198, Dec 14, 10:07pm
I've worked on the Corona Premios and found them to be excellent cars!
(Personally, I wouldn't go near the Pulsars etc. even though I like Nissans in general)

rainbow.umbrell, Dec 14, 10:16pm
Are the low k's worth much extra! Found a nice pulsar, old but low k's. Or is it more ideal to have a newer car with higher k's in the same price range. # 417580015

richard198, Dec 14, 10:26pm
Service records are more important.

kazbanz, Dec 14, 10:38pm
I really like that exact model and year. My ex wife has had one for the past 8 years and the only time its been serviced is when I see it and feel sorry for it

franc123, Dec 15, 6:18am
What, the car or the ex!

kazbanz, Dec 15, 8:06am
--now snorting my coffee--I STRONGLY suspect I'd be getting a fast sex change if I ever serviced the ex

rainbow.umbrell, Dec 16, 5:34am
We've looked for some smaller cars now, and found a Starlet. # 432167350, is there any known issues with Starlets! It has the safety features that we wanted, and is newer than the Corona, although has much more k's, it is also much cheaper. I will ask and see if the owner can post a picture of the engine compartment, along with a service record.

taipan4, Dec 16, 5:44am
depends what you are looking for, a starlet may be fine around town, but on the open road it would be struggling, I have owned 4 coronas/camrys & foiund them to be ultra reliable. My suggestiopn would be to drive both on the motorway/hiway driving

rainbow.umbrell, Dec 16, 5:48am
Driving on the motorway would only be on the off occasions, wouldn't be driving on the open road regularly, so it's not a major issue. The majority or driving would be city driving, so I think the starlet would be ideal, as it ismore fuel efficient.

taipan4, Dec 16, 5:50am
just do not be in a nose to tail accident in one of these upholsteredskateboards