Key left on ACC overnight

vin.p, Dec 19, 12:07am
and the battery was dead this morning, no dash lights. How long should it take to charge! its been on for 4hrs now and the only light of three thats bright on the charger is the 'connected" one. Is the charger faulty! cao the battery is less than 6 months old

a.woodrow, Dec 19, 12:12am
depends on the output of the battery charger, may need to be charged overnight

olsod2, Dec 19, 12:21am
my 4 amp charger puts enough power into battery after 4 hours to start it.only a small 4 cyl car.a 6 or v8 will need a lot longer

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 19, 12:31am
Depends on the charger output and the battery size, neither of which you've mentioned.

elect70, Dec 19, 12:47am
obviously a cheapcharger as no ammeter to tell the charging rate .Leave it on overnight & should start in morningif battery was dead flat .

tmenz, Dec 19, 1:33am
If it's got red, green and yellow lights, then red means it's connected, yellow means it's charging and green means it's charged! If you've only got a red then it's not charging - check your connections to ensure it's correct polarity and check that you actually have mains going into the charger - the red will light without mains

motorway, Dec 19, 2:11am
If it's a calcium battery that's dead flat you'll be struggling to fill it with an ordinary charger.
Can you tell us the part number of the battery!

thejazzpianoma, Dec 19, 4:35am
I agree, its just about guaranteed to be one of those cheap red (arlec!) ones, and thats exactly the case, just one red light means no chargy chargy. its like waiting for Richard Simmons to come out of the closet. looks like something should have happened already but nothing doing.

the_don_61, Dec 19, 5:46am
Your charger may not work at all.Some new batterys are a bugger to re-charge. Unless you can recharge it with more than 25 amps to start with.
I'm lucky I have a 6,12,24 volt charger with 3 settings for each volt.

To re-charge newish type batterys I blast them with low 24 volt for 1 min then turn it down to 12 volt high. wait a couple of hours then turn it to low and leave it over nite.

intrade, Dec 19, 6:01am
it will take 24h to fully charge a dead battery. if its a calcium then you want a special charger that can do calcium battery with electronic chip controller

fleming.a.j.s, Dec 19, 6:26am
For those cheap chargers to work at all, the battery you are charging must have a little power left. Yours sounds completely flat, try connecting it with jumper leads to a good battery for 60 seconds, I'll bet your charger works properly after that.

ml6989, Dec 19, 8:52am
If ACC caused your battery to fail, get them to buy you a new one. They pay out on most failures, this one should be no different, just make sure you use the correct form. Or is this a different ACC to what I am thinking!

807, Dec 19, 9:27am
ha ha ha .good one !

ralphdog1, Dec 19, 9:41am
It was the key that was on ACC, not the battery. Mind you maybe the key was a bludger, seen a key like that elsewhere.

sr2, Dec 19, 10:12am
Its worthless buggers like you that push up ACC levy??

ml6989, Dec 19, 10:26am
How do you arrive at the "worthless buggers" bit! Go sort out your sense of humour and enjoy life. BTW have been working 35 years and had one claim on ACC for a broken arm that happened at work. You have a great Christmas and take a well earned break.

sr2, Dec 19, 10:43am
LOL, (you took that one hook, line and sinker!).

snoopy221, Dec 19, 10:45am
ha ha so that's why older cars are cheaper rego-LOL no ACC on the ignition.

johnf_456, Dec 20, 1:10am
If you don't have a charger just drop it off at a garage I am sure they would not charge much for you.

sr2, Dec 20, 2:46am
Woops, just got a telling off from Trademe! Looks like our favourite M/B poster is back with vengance!

mk3zephyr, Dec 20, 3:46am
So Key got ACC overnight, so thats 80% of the thousands he makes, But wait, He donates his pay to charities doesnt he (or so we are lead to believe). Reminds me of that old Joke "how when do you know when a politician is lying"!, "His lips are moving".

shinra, Dec 20, 4:55am
just get a jumpy & let the alternator do the rest.