Figure this one out if you can.

Page 1 / 2
kazbanz, Dec 20, 3:53am
Ok So it was the company function and the boss said NO DRIVING.
The staff meet at work.
A TOTALbunch of idiots at the Taxi company failed to organisethe 10 seater van that was ordered days in advance Confirmed the morning of the event and even failed to call to say there would be a 1 hour delay getting the Van.
Plan B was 3 seperate Taxi'swhich duely arrived all together and travelled in convoy to the venue.
IN CONVOY --left the same time and arrived the same time at the same place.
Yet "somehow" there was a $5.00 variation in the fares--and NO discount applied because it was the Taxi companes error that caused us to have 3 cabs in the first place.
SO the question---How can there be a $5.00 variation in the fares given things are as described!

a.woodrow, Dec 20, 3:56am
someone must have started their meter a litle early.

pup2, Dec 20, 5:13am
No way should you be paying 3 taxi fares. Their mistake, as for the difference in pricing. WTF. Thats crazy

gunhand, Dec 20, 5:20am
Oh its easy, the last car didnt travel as far, be at least 2 car lengths less journey you see.

Hmmm if the last car started in same place in convoy and finished in same place i guess it did travel the same after all lol.

pup2, Dec 20, 5:22am
lol good call, wonder if dave will send a cab to pick me up for drinks on fri lmfao

gunhand, Dec 20, 5:23am
Yea but then I thought about some more.

neo_psy, Dec 20, 5:30am
Maybe one got stuck at a couple of red lights - the meters tend to tick over even when they're stationary.
Or, Mohammed tampered with his meter.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 5:34am
No dude -I kid you not the cars left the same time and ARRIVEDthe same time--literally all together. They never stopped being in convoy.
I know its "only" a total of$8.25 but ya know it buggs me not knowing how its possible

carstauranga001, Dec 20, 5:41am
one metre isn't calabrated correctly. It's that simple isn't it!

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 20, 6:23am
Just because you travelled in convoy doesn't mean the charges would automatically be exactly the same. It simply means that one or more taxis spent more time over the designated tariff change speed threshold. They can still have the same average speed by leaving the departure point and arriving at the departure point at the same time.

What distance was the journey!

dr.doolittle, Dec 20, 6:27am
The cab with the smaller wheels charges more because it has to work harder!
Or maybe it's just the cab with the biggest engine/turban!

johnf_456, Dec 20, 7:10am
A very interesting read, my guess would be the flagfall

kazbanz, Dec 20, 7:14am
Either I missed something or you did.
For the sake of this discussion let us assume there was a rope tying each taxi to the one in front. The three taxi's were in convoy for the entire trip. I was in the middle taxi so I can confirm they stayed together.

tigra, Dec 20, 7:22am
Obviously #9has got it. In fact I would be demanding that the meter be checked.

smac, Dec 20, 7:38am
IF (and I don't think this happened) there is a different charge for being over X speed, and a flat flat under it, then yeah one car could go over the speed for a while, then drop below it for the same time, and still maintain the same overall time (average speed), but the charge would be higher.

However, don't different cars have different flag fall rates (based on what I have no idea, but I think only the range is regulated!).

Or as above, one guys metre is out. Ask the same question of the company, failing that contact NZTA, they take a REAL close look at taxi dodgyness.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 20, 8:42am
Easily for the very reason that they're NOT roped together. The rate of acceleration from a standstill can vary but a slightly higher terminal speed will mean they travel the same overall distance in the same time. There's one tariff for travel at low speed and another for travel over that speed.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 20, 8:43am
I'd say they were all from the same company so they'll have the same tariffs and thresholds.

tgray, Dec 20, 8:45am
Slow week mate!

dinosaw88, Dec 20, 9:02am
One of them reset their meter before the rest. When he arrived there instead of when you all left for example.

owene, Dec 20, 11:10am
How many $$$'s worth of booze did you all drink!

i-n-horz, Dec 20, 12:09pm
The front cab would not have had a continuous slip stream to follow in therefore costing more to run.

jerichord, Dec 20, 6:37pm
did the driver have a tablecloth wrapped around his head

toyboy3, Dec 20, 11:42pm
One cab had all the fat people,more wear and tear with the lard arses

owene, Dec 21, 4:13am
What I find weird is the nonsensical worry about a fiver when the group of you had probably consumed $200 worth of [free] booze. Get real.

74nova, Dec 21, 4:49am
And the company offered AND payed for the taxis.