Anybody bought an msd distributor lately!

Page 1 / 2
roadkillcafe, Dec 21, 6:26pm
if so, does it actually state where it's made! (as in clearly and on the distributor-or at least the box (and not just "msd ignition products, x town,x city, x state, usa", (i'm talking about"made in usa" (i'm just wondering if they've started having them made in china)-hopefully not, and i'm hopeful cos they are about the top brand out there. (i'm sure they were made in usa in the past, so i'm talking about recent purchases) t.i.a.

sifty, Dec 21, 7:22pm
I bought one a year ago direct from the states, assumed it was built there too!
will check out the box later, it's still in the garage.

twink19, Dec 21, 7:24pm
had one made in south island to suit msd

roadkillcafe, Dec 21, 7:35pm
sounds interesting please elaborate

roadkillcafe, Dec 21, 8:48pm
how straight forward and how cost effective (compared to buying from one of the local outfits who sell them here) was it! (the one i'm after is #8350-ford cleveland and big block and will prob need to be imported by either me or whoever i buy it from in nz as it's not a distributor that anyone tends to keep in stock)

sifty, Dec 21, 9:05pm
ok, it was pretty straightforward, and arrived promptly, can't recall the company I used, but I do recall shipping rates varied hugely. Think there were lots of cheap deals on the dizzy but high international freight costs with those ones, so shopped around a bit.

just looked at bank records online, found payment for $560NZ to a company in Florida (statement just says ENGINEREBUI), and a customs payment of $121 a few days later. Think if an item comes to a certain value they withhold delivery until customs paid.

Still think it came out a couple of hundy cheaper than nz new, will be better now as exchange rate a lot different.

*edit*mine was a 302W Ready to Run, pretty common but most models were available.

roadkillcafe, Dec 21, 9:16pm
cool, thanks for that. please let me know any other details you can come up with in terms of the company's name who you bought it from and where actually made.the one i'm looking at seems to be right around U.S$350 + shipping on ebay etc in u.s.a and i guess that'd be plus customs/duty!

roadkillcafe, Dec 21, 9:18pm
p.s. its a ready to run for 351C.did your msd distributor work well!

guider1, Dec 21, 9:54pm
To be honest, just get online to Rocket Industries in Aussie. Awesome to deal with & they're closer so freight is less.

sifty, Dec 21, 10:12pm
pretty sure I campared prices in NZ/Aus/US when going thru my decision.
and no complaints with the MSD, good instructions, nice piece of kit and chucks sparks in the right direction.

guider1, Dec 21, 10:22pm
I've always used MSD products when needed. The car i'm modifying at the moment has a MSD7AL-2 with crank trigger & a Jesel distributor. My Mustang has an MSD6-BTM, crank trigger, billet dissy & coil.
My old dragcar ran a 7AL-2, Pro coil, billet dissy, crank trigger, 2 step & multi-step retard.
My old Nova had a 6AL.
I love the stuff!

guider1, Dec 21, 10:31pm
I just rang Rocket Industries. A 351C "ready-to-run" billet distributor is AUD$399 & AUD$65 freight to Auckland (as a guide). They have 4 in stock.
The same thing out of America is USD$339 + freight.

sifty, Dec 21, 10:34pm
^ that sounds good.

guider1, Dec 21, 10:36pm
Most of the stuff I get comes from Rocket because they're closer & easier to deal with than the Americans; plus, if it has to go back then it's not as large cost.

guider1, Dec 21, 10:41pm
I just worked it out. you'd be better off buying one here. It's going to owe you around the $650 mark & Performance Parts has them in stock for $620.

patiki1, Dec 21, 11:25pm
Why dont you email them and find out!

roadkillcafe, Dec 21, 11:52pm
cool, thanks heaps guys.i'll give performance parts a yell and then maybe rocket.hey patiki-who's "them" and ask them what! (i assume you mean msd and ask them where made! -i would, but as others have alluded to,yanks arent all that easy to deal with/get an accurate answer from (and very rarely are they prompt with answering emails etc) and i'm still after a definitive, straight off the (recent) product, confirmation of country of manufacture as mostly people wanting to sell you something tend to tell you what they think you want to hear long enough to get the money from your bank account into their's, so please let me know about that if you can. cheers!

rsr72, Dec 22, 1:06am
MSD has always been as American as apple pie,
-so far.

roadkillcafe, Dec 22, 1:21am
do you have a definitve answer re recent manufacture!-americans are notorious for farming their manufacture out and i don't wanna support it if i can avoid it.please let me know cheers

likit, Dec 22, 5:06am
Plus GST-

roadkillcafe, Dec 22, 6:52am
cheers,au$399 + au$65 = nz$602 right at the moment, by my reckoning, and yes, performance parts is 620 plus gst so unless there is customs/duty on top of the rocket industries prices i guess that's the go!have i missed something!

fordkiwi27, Dec 22, 9:17am
i thought they were mexican made

cuda.340, Dec 22, 9:18am
dead right there, most Comp Cams stuff is China made now.

likit, Dec 22, 9:52am
Buy from kiwi distributor then at least you are keeping a kiwi in a job rather than our aussie mates.

patiki1, Dec 22, 11:03pm
There are certain products that we have outsourced to foreign countries. This has been done due to certain restrictions by the EPA and OSHA to protect the environment and work place environment.

The Blaster II coils are oil filled and in order to manufacture these items in the United States we would have to comply with the two above mentioned Government agencies with our manufacturing procedures. If made in the United States, the cost to comply with the restrictions would be added to the final cost of the product and a $20.00 coil would end up costing 4 times or more to produce.

The foreign countries are not tied down by Government restrictions so the labor and material cost to produce these items allows us to keep the final cost of the product within a reasonable window.