Hmmm what do you think it could be!.

nave12, Dec 22, 3:54am
My mates eb fairmont has an odd problem now and then,its an auto and when you go to turn the key theres nothing does'nt even crank over but i have held the key on fully engaged and sometimes it will crank over and start normally and other times he has just kept going back and fourth turning the key over and over and it will start up eventually,so would this be heading towards the starter motor!.

richard198, Dec 22, 4:11am
Could be the inhibitor switch!
Ignition switch!
Use a test light and go searching.

chito, Dec 22, 4:14am
Starter motor solenoid contacts. Tell him to give the starter motor a whack at the same tome as turning the key.

richard198, Dec 22, 4:34am
Usually (but not always) with clicking sound as contacts make and break!

manukarose1, Dec 22, 4:37am
Old worn key! May need a new key made or the barrel lockis about to cark it!

nave12, Dec 22, 5:12am
Might as well go down the replacing the starter motor route by the sounds of it,i have a fully reco'd one sitting in the shed so will give it to him to replace,also as mentioned above the inhibitor switch on the gearbox is another well suspected culprit.

franc123, Dec 22, 5:22am
Has it got Smartlock!Might be a problem with that, I think it was around the EB2 model that it was brought in.

nave12, Dec 22, 5:38am
Yeah it has smatlock and have heard that the soldering inside the module can breakdown and cause issues,the module is located just above the hand brake(hidden away in the dash) so its worth a shot replacing that if the starter motor replacement does'nt fix it,but hey at least the starter will be in top notch.

unbeatabull, Dec 22, 6:07am
You should be able to hear the Starter Relay clicking, if not then theres no power getting there so problem will be elsewhere. The Smartlock as mentioned has been known to give problems.

lookoutas, Dec 22, 6:11am
Not silly to give the gear lever a jer-jiggle.

3962, Dec 22, 9:56am
My EF II did that too. Still does it from time to time but I had a button put in wired straight to starter. Now if it doesn't start with key, I just push the button. I had the starter looked at by a sparky & pretty much overhauled but still did the same thing. Cheapest option was install push-button to starter.

nave12, Dec 30, 11:02pm
Problem solved,it was the BCM (body control module) or known also as the BEM.Got a second hand one and replaced it and all has been fine since,if anyone replaces the BCM in the E series falcons/fairmonts make sure after you replace the module leave your key on with all the red lights showing for half an hour then the door locks will cycle up and down then you are ready to go,if you replace the module and turn the key straight away there will be nothing as the module needs to do the re learn procedure.