Anyone race or raced karts !

master-trader, Dec 22, 9:26am
I was looking at the costs associated with this (as a hobby racer, not hard out trying to be a pro) and got speaking to some people. I was after confirmation of the figures they supplied.

I was told in the initial year you could realistically expect to fork out $25-30k. This includes the kart and some form of transportation for it and other initial costs.

After that they said each year would be in the vicinity of $15-20k on average.

I have no grounds to dispute these figures as I dont 100% know what is involved in terms of costs, but if these are realistic figures I can see why it is only available to the select few.

I mean who has $20k per year to spend on a hobby.

Is anyone who is involved in karting or has been in the past able to shed some light on realistic figures.

thanks

flashgordon_nz, Dec 22, 10:31am
Hmmm, interesting. yes, those figures are quite realistic for some peoples budgets. I did 2 years at club level in a KT100. Kart cost about 2K, $200 for overalls, $200 for new helmet, $200 for licience/membership etc. $280 (fixed price for a full set of tyres), maybe another couple of hundred in spare spark plugs, hex bolts, 2 stroke oil, fuel etc. Had a van to carry it in, and made a trolly - $80. I think monthly meetings were $20 for a day - 1 practice, 3 official heats, one final, and a GP (25 lapper) at the end of the day. That was pretty much my costs. However, there was guys there at club champs, and national/gold star events putting on fresh tyres every second race, fresh motor (around $300 for a piston/ring refresh) for each race also. all neatly stacked in their flash trailer or purpose built truck.
Amusing when they get beaten by someone on a smaller budget. It was a heap of fun, but i had to get back to the gravel. If i were going into it as a hobby racer, i would be looking at a Racket 120 or a Rotax. Rackets have a low maintenance motor, battery start, not as many revs and not a lot of punch out of the corners, but they are a cool kart, a lot of bang for your dollar, and low out-lay and ongoing costs. the Rotax is typically a battery start, heap of horsepower - an ideal kart to step up to after kt100's or rackets!

owene, Dec 22, 9:33pm
Yep that'd be a very fair analysis but it does depend on how much racing you do. If you participate every weekend and at the national meetings then $18-20 for sure but if you only do club days of say once a month that falls quite quickly to $5-10k-ish. Depends on what you're racing. If you're an adult and want to minimze costs, buy a Rotax - their upkeep is considerably lower than a KT. Or as the above poster suggested a Raket 120 although you'd need to check on numbers (and available competition) before going there. But they say the Raket wil ldo 200 hrs before any maintenance.

r15, Dec 22, 9:49pm
sounds to me like it could be done very cheaply if you spend your money wisely and do all your own work.much like mx

billybob57, Dec 22, 10:07pm
LOL Those cost's might as well buy an oldPorsche or whatever ya fancy to drive everyday dude LOL

r15, Dec 22, 10:10pm
that's great, but its illegal and considered dangerous to have any kind of fun on the road.karts, mx bikes, jetskis - all things that the average joe can afford to do without the long arm of the law on your back every step of the way

kcf, Dec 23, 12:09am
Racing anything "seriously" isn't cheap.Even my boring little Corolla club car can rack up some decent bills easily enough, and that's largely stock.You can easily go through a couple hundred dollars worth of tyres, couple hundred worth of brake pads, hundred and fifty or two hundred worth of petrol on a club sprint day at a track.

That said, have a look at what the guys racing radio control cars are spending on those mad wee beasies . there's a lot of them spending more on their "little" cars than I am on my "big" car.Mind you, most of the little cars have better technology in them than my big car!

That's why I like low key autocrossing as an event, you can do fairly well in an utterly stock little road car without much power, commuter tyres etc.But it's low speed stuff, so isn't for everyone.

owene, Dec 23, 12:44am
That's what I thought when I started but you need to read the KSNZ rule book before thinking that it's cheap. And price up some parts - a set of tyres at $280/meeting plus entry fees of up to $100 plus travelling/accom ain't cheap!

Too many people join karting and drop out very quickly becuase they've been mislead by well meaning clubs trying to recruit. In Nelson for example, we loose about 25-30% of our members each year.

kazbanz, Dec 23, 1:59am
Master trader I must say I've never raced karts seriously. But I have done a fair bit of bike racing.
Flashgordon basicly covered it off for you. Your budget can indeed be 20k a yearbut just as easilly be sub 3k
If you are just starting out frankly my advice would be to not worry about all the trick gear or massive budgets. You simply don't need them untill your lap times have settled to a consistantly low level.
I'd be dooing as many $20 entry club meets as I could first

pettal, Dec 23, 2:56am
Go grass karting = that would have to be cheaper than hard circuit racing !.

flashgordon_nz, Dec 23, 9:57am
Rotax is awesome fun, but you really have to have some skills to get the most out of your kart. the rackets are a good "one man band" kart to start in - the KT's typically require skill, or a second person with you to assist with starting. funny thing, is go along to a club day. ask questions. you will probably be asked if you want a go. look into it, then decide.
I also have been involve in rallying, and like mentioned before - a club car can be a good way to go, if you are just after the thrill of speed!

mrcat1, Dec 23, 11:12am
Years ago and i mean 25 years ago i was playing around with a 250 open gearbox kart running on pure methanol, that wasn't to bad back then ( i can't remember to much of the costs now) but as others have said the costs are a lot more nowadays, I now shoot competition clay birds, you can spent $20k on a good gun, another $20k on ammo for a year and then the entry fees for a shoot of up to $100 a day if you want to go every weekend. There is some guys that think nothing of doing that either, my budget doesn't extend anywhere near as much as that, but still costs.

owene, Dec 23, 7:50pm
Which clubs run club days for $20 entry!

owene, Dec 24, 12:44am
That's what I thought when I started but you need to read the KSNZ rule book before thinking that it's cheap. And price up some parts - a set of tyres at $280/meeting plus entry fees of up to $100 plus travelling/accom ain't cheap!

Too many people join the sport and drop out very quickly because they've been mislead by well meaning clubs trying to recruit. In Nelson for example, we loose about 25-30% of our members each year.

If you want a cheap sport then join the local tiddlewinks club.