Heading north

Page 1 / 2
lalbagh, Dec 22, 5:43pm
What are the merits of Kaipara Coast Hwy relative to SH1 for going North!
Anything which avoids the toll road and its complicated payment system for infrequent users must be a bonus
I notice they dont ever advertise the Taylor Road/Peak Road shortcut that skips helensville, but it seems to shorten the trip.

twink19, Dec 22, 6:12pm
go through Orewa, the old road past Waiwera if you dont want tp toll

dunwoody, Dec 22, 8:04pm
Horror apon horror threr is very little cell phone coverage on the Kaipara highway

bowla3, Dec 22, 11:02pm
Old North Road - Peak Road is better than Taylor-Peak. Cuts out Kumeu (with its traffic lights LOL) /Huapai and Waimauku.
In 15 years have only travelled HiWay1 about 5 or 6 times.
Old North - Peak route is shorter by around 15k. than going thru Helensville. Which is roughlythe distance from Helensville to KKK

rob_man, Dec 22, 11:10pm
It's a secret worth keeping, I shun SH1.

ringo2, Dec 22, 11:11pm
"complicated payment system"Bloody hell it takes a couple of minutes on the computer with your credit card.

lalbagh, Dec 22, 11:34pm
if you have one that is. and will it deduct the cost of a single trip without making you pay for multiple trips!

ringo2, Dec 22, 11:49pm
Yes you just go onto tollroad.govt.nz. select the how to paytype in your rego and it comes up with the $2.00 to pay. Easy Peasy.

rozendaal, Dec 23, 1:38am
$2 well spent in my opinion.

trogedon, Dec 23, 3:29am
Watch out for cyclists grinding their way up Rabbit Hill (just before Peak/Taylors).

illusion_, Dec 23, 3:41am
there are various ways to pay online . minimum number of trips being ONE. I'm sure youll find at least one option that suits you. Its VERY easy

bowla3, Dec 23, 10:19pm
Sat. 24th Dec. A good reason to give Hiway 1 a wide berth!
Police are warning drivers heading north from Auckland to be patient after a four car crash this morning.

The accident happened in the Dome Valley south of Wellsford at about 8.20am.

No one appears to have suffered serious injury, but the accident will affect northbound traffic until the scene is cleared.

Drivers are advised to be patient - police say it would be a good time to take a break.

rsr72, Dec 23, 10:27pm
It's pathetic, a third world system where drivers have to stop and queue on the side of the road in all weathers, or buggerise around on a computer, ( yep, cars don't have 'em), or a phone even, all for the sake of a miserable little $2 or else a penalty.

Overseas visitors just cannot understand why our pathetic little motorways don't operate like the ones they're used to.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 23, 10:47pm
You don't need a computer in the car you have 5 days to log on and pay it.

rsr72, Dec 23, 11:22pm
.and just why should we be put to all that trouble!
The sheep mentality all-pervades little NZ.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 23, 11:37pm

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 23, 11:39pm
Only if you don't require any mental stimulation and can thus endure the mindnumbing SH1 trip.

big.b-lil.c, Dec 23, 11:41pm
just dont pay they wont follow it up

les6, Dec 24, 3:36am
you pay manually at the bp service centre just before you get there I was told!Just used the tollroad website and cc,was pretty easy and well worth the task!

bellky, Dec 24, 3:46am
sh16 must be so much more exiting - think not

bowla3, Dec 24, 7:58am
SH16 has quite a few exits. Many more then the rotten bit of SH 1, known as Dome Valley and one does not need to go thru Warkworth with its 2 sets of traffic lights. (Roundabouts are better and cheaper)
Last time heading norththru Warkworth, a bit of road works by Woodcocks Road and it took us 10 minutes to pass thru. Highway 16 is the only way to go.
$2 toll has nothing to with my choice of road.

rob_man, Dec 24, 8:24am
Ssssshhhhhhh. Let them have their SH1 fetish with what must be exciting exits for them to get a mention. The less traffic on 16 the better.

kazbanz, Dec 24, 7:46pm
overseas visitors ALSOcomment on how few people they see. With larger populations comes the ability to have taxes paying for better roads.

romulan7, Dec 24, 8:00pm
You driven much overseas!

Tamar Bridge crossing from Cornwall back into Devon has Toll Booths and the delays can be horrendous in the Summer.Then theres the Toll Booths on the French Motorways and the worst one is heading from France into Switzerland without the appropriate Swiss Motorway sticker.

Really is it third world or just New Zealand Catching up!

chris_051, Dec 24, 10:32pm
Na, because by the time you gas up, wait in the coffe line to pay for your gas, then pay the toll, you'd be passing Puhoi turn off if you went the Waiwera road in the first place.