Gilmer belts

Page 2 / 2
bellky, Dec 30, 9:20pm
if you have to ask this question then, imo, gilmours are not really for you

bill-robinson, Dec 30, 10:58pm
another xpert(wonders which definition to use)

gmphil, Dec 30, 11:05pm
I believe gilmer belts have less drag meaning less friction -equals more horse power .dont no bout rotors but look part on my 8

thunderbolt, Dec 30, 11:55pm
Synchronous or timing belts don't use friction to transmit power, unlike a v-belt drive. They also can transmit more power with less tension, therefore less bearing load, and they are at least 5% more energy efficient than a v-belt drive.
It's a wankel, not like it can afford to lose any power anyway!

kazbanz, Dec 31, 12:42am
Bellky-- Please explain to me how a toothed beltrequires as much tension or more than a V belt or multi groove flat belt.
Yes I do understand the issue a wider pulley causes on a bearing only supported on one end.
-Sok I'm not saying you are wrong I just don't understand your logic

bellky, Dec 31, 2:43am
a lot of guys want them noisy as poss so tighten them up = wear on alt bearings and wreckage of gilmour alt pulley too if not steel.

and in case anyone missed it: the point of gilmours is the NOISE and the LOOKS - to get loud noise they need to be tight, and so result is WEAR on alt bearings (and alt pulley too if not steel)

bellky, Dec 31, 3:29am
you know this really depends ay.

rotarys with a viscous fan, and an old hard aftermarket v belt that doesn't fit the v in the pulley properly will need a bit of tension to stop them slipping at high revs - probly more than a loose gilmour running electric fans. (loose gilmours do jump teeth though)

on an engine without viscous fan, a nice new v belt from mazda doesn't need to be as tight as a noisy gilmour, and won't put any where near the load on alt bearings

bellky, Dec 31, 3:50am
also gilmours don't slip a high revs like v belts do

lordv81, Dec 31, 4:31am
I was always told by guys who seemed to know a rotas,that they used gilmer style belts to stop the slipping at high rpm.Some of the guys built rotary curcuit and rally race cars.But most road going cars have them for looks and sound,-rotary,6,or v8.Each to there own I guess.I have always found them troublesome.

tonyrockyhorror, Dec 31, 4:48am
The load on the bearings also depends on how wide the belt is as if the centreline of the belt moves away from the bearing the load increases. So the load may in fact increase.

bellky, Dec 31, 4:57am
ok guys. this 2 is na bridge no supercharger or turb here. only tight as gillies/gilmours/gilmores/gilm-
ers: (please watch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=sZYaPMa94CE

74nova, Dec 31, 5:06am
wankwankwankwankwankwankwankwa-
nk.-

bill-robinson, Dec 31, 6:08am
the belt is a GILMER BELT not gilmour . I suppose if you cannot spell the word then using the belt properly will be hard as well.

bellky, Dec 31, 6:32am
this means nothing imo

(opinion formed by what you have have posted here - you obviously don't know very much and your credibilty is very low with me)

bill-robinson, Dec 31, 6:49am
still an xpert then, definition sorted

bellky, Dec 31, 6:50am
on the subject of spelling, it's 'expert' thanks

thunderbolt, Dec 31, 6:55am
The load would only exceed that of a v-belt due to the tool who over tensions it to create noise.
As a pure power transmission function, the width of belt and tension required would be lower with a synchronous belt.

andrew241, Dec 31, 7:05am
drill holes in the pullys will make more noise too.

bellky, Jul 28, 6:56pm
this might be true but is an impracticle argument because almost no-onebuys a gilmour because it's thinner than a v belt