Are 'OTHER' branded Mopeds reliable, worth buying!

next-to-normal, Jan 1, 1:46pm
pgo pmx is a goodie

jordan0, Dec 30, 9:14pm
I am looking at buying a moped and spending around $800, I see alot of these OTHER branded mopeds on trademe and they look quite good for the price. Has anyone had any experience with these, maybe owned one for afew years!

Any comments appreciated, cheers.

danni_2254, Dec 30, 9:24pm
Get a Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki. Will be faster, more reliable and will hold its value very well. (Probably even go up in price)

jordan0, Dec 30, 9:30pm
I will look into it, just so lost with all these models. Can't tell whats good and whats not ><

kazbanz, Dec 30, 9:34pm
jordan0--use the search function to your left. Basicly this subject has been done to death.
Short version- NO the "other brand" stuff out of chinadoesn't generally last
Incidently My lad has a Hyosung scooter (korean)which has done a few KM's and seems to be as good as the Jap stuff

intrade, Dec 30, 9:38pm
you wont get a good moped now in summer for that money winter is the time to buy bikes. chinese stuff seems to have dogy wiring problems and or weak clutches not for hills designed etc.

kcf, Dec 30, 11:39pm
Two stroke 50 = usually better power than 4 stroke 50.Disc brake front gives you a much nicer brake feel.I had a Suzuki SJ50 (I think) and it was too soft in the suspension for me (90kg) and would bottom out.Also it was too short for me (knees bashed steering column).Comfy and quiet though.
Sold it and bought a couple of Honda Dio 50's and they drove like a "sportscar" compared to the Suzi.
Rode a Yamaha Jog a little bit too, nice scooter, much like the Dio.

jordan0, Dec 31, 12:46am
Thanks kcf, helpful info. I was looking at auction # 435102934 and # 423094043. Looks like around $1000 can get something decent.

kazbanz, Dec 31, 1:20am
jordan- The yamaha IS a yamaha. The little scooters have been made in Taiwan for ages so no worries there.
The "honda dio" I'm happy to stand corrected but to my knowledge is in fact a SYM --a cheap scooter from China.
I'd buy the jog myself

jordan0, Dec 31, 2:16am
Thanks. In the yamaha listing he says he spends $10 per 120-140km, seems abit off! Would have thought it could get more km's from $10.

zak410, Dec 31, 2:49am
$10=5L of petrol, less for 2 stroke.

kcf, Dec 31, 3:02am
Two strokes are when compared with four strokes of the same cc typically much more thirsty.However they also usually have quite a bit more grunt as well.In as far as you can describe 50cc as having grunt anyway :-)

If you're anywhere with hills you will be happy with the extra thirst that goes with the grunt.

kcf, Jul 27, 6:47am
That Honda Dio (second ad) isn't a Honda Dio.It is somebody being a bit cheeky.