Final decision! Opinions welcome!

catherine89, Jan 15, 7:23pm
Have finally narrowed it down to three vehicles after looking for 8 months! Now have to decide between 94 mitsi pajero 3.5 petrol 158,000kms 7 seater, 95 bighorn 3.2petrol 141,000kms 7 seater or 96 toyota hilux surf 3.4 petrol 206,00kms 5 seater. Have a year left in my degree before i am working and can spend more (dont want to borrow money) so budget at the moment is $7k. Not too concerned on fuel consumption as used to gas guzzlers! lol

intrade, Jan 15, 7:27pm
well you can rule out the mitsubishi the isuzu petrol i dont know about how good they are but if the toyota is not a v6 then it be the one to buy petrol toyota surf or bighorn petrol.

catherine89, Jan 15, 7:32pm
yeah it is a V6. Do you think the petrol bighorn better than the diesel! I really swaying towards a 7 seater

intrade, Jan 15, 7:41pm
the reson why petrol is better then the diesel is mostly due to the problem the new diesel is creating on the fuel injector system of diesel, that is the reason why i cant recommend to buy diesel and isuzu has a few hangranade diesel like toyota hasalso and mitsubishi only makes bombs . The best petrol engines are 4 cilinder toyota I got a client a 2.7 petrol surf and i test drove it it had plenty power i do not know how well it could tow the clients other 4x4 that was stuffed was a terrano nissan with 144.000 miles certification sticker on the windscreen Auto transmission had pooped it self and diesel pump had lost diesel.

catherine89, Jan 15, 7:44pm
cool thanks for that. Interesting to hear.

kazbanz, Jan 15, 8:10pm
In my opinion its a toss up between the isuzu and the toyota.
If they both stack up mechanically thenI think the deciding factor is if 7 seats are what you can see yourself needing

richard198, Jan 15, 9:11pm
Don't go near the Mitsubishi.
If you can do without 7 seats (!) go with the Surf.

yendor, Jan 15, 11:28pm
Why a big 4x4!

chris_051, Jan 15, 11:53pm
+1 just get a Commodore or Falcon wagon and spend a bit installing a 3rd row of seats. They will do everything one of these 4wds can do except go off road.

phillip.weston, Jan 16, 12:23am
That Pajero will be the most powerful out of the lot. but will probably be the most thirstiest too. Other than cam-belt and spark plug changes the Mitsu 3.5 DOHC is generally not a maintenance heavy engine. The auto transmission will be the same unit that is in the Surf so should be just as reliable. The Pajero will have super select 4WD which enables it to be engaged and disengaged on the fly at speed which I don't think the Toyota or Isuzu have.

catherine89, Jan 20, 7:46pm
Have put an offer on a 95 petrol 7 seater big horn. Done 141000 kms and tidy so hopefully should be a good one :-)

guider1, Jan 20, 7:58pm
Having worked for a car franchise & seen what came into the workshop I would say a BIG NOOOOOOOO to the Mitsi. if you do get one you'll want a monthly subscription to MBL8 oil stabiliser to stop it rattling! In my opinion & nearly all the mechanics that were there who had to work on them, Mitsi's are a pile of junk.
Either way you look at it, they're all thirsty V6's in a heavy vehicle with low diff gears, so there will be no such thing as economy which you have stated isnt an issue anyway.
I've driven all of these above mentioned models & personally wouldnt own any of them, but if that is what you seek then so be it.
I missed the original thread/s (if any) as to why you need a 4x4 SUV.

intrade, Jan 20, 8:17pm
Do you know what engine its got !

catherine89, Jan 20, 8:55pm
3165cc automatic. Thats all I know

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 3:07am
Engines are OK, but make sure the cambelt isn't due. I don't care what other people say, but automatic transmissions in Bighorns are crap. Good luck. The best of the Bighorns are 3.1 diesels with manual gearboxes.

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 3:10am
And how many has it done in Japan!

scotty20001, Jan 21, 10:41am
Isuzu Bighorns have had synrco transfer cases ever since they were made, the surfdoesn't how ever.

catherine89, Jan 21, 6:55pm
so my hubbie has finally convinced me to get his way! Am buying the 96 hilux surf. Petrol and done 206000km. It pretty tidy and the newer shape which I like. Got it for $6000 which I think is pretty good value. Fingers crossed!

mugenb20b, Jan 21, 7:30pm
Very good value. Is it a V6 or a 4 cylinder!

catherine89, Jan 21, 8:07pm
its a v6. not sure if that is better or not.

intrade, 1 day, 16 hours
v6 all tend to crack one of the heads .