Page 1 / 3
collosal1, Feb 24, 9:29am
its getting beyond the joke.

mopeds, Feb 24, 9:42am
Old one or new one!

collosal1, Feb 24, 9:47am
old

monaro_xxx, Feb 24, 10:24am
they are worth it,and they are not making them anymore.
(yeah,im a bit biased!)

franko171, Feb 24, 6:53pm
thy never madegood 1

afer_daily, Feb 24, 7:05pm
THEY ARE ONLY A TWO DOOR VAUXHALL!

budgel, Feb 24, 8:08pm
If the asking price is being met, then they arent asking too much!

dave653, Feb 24, 8:32pm
Imagine how many classics, make irrelevant, lost in fires or floods recently. Brings a tear to the eye.

sifty, Feb 24, 9:04pm
I nearly bought a 1970 6 cylinder one myself years ago, nice looking but missed the V8 too much. Like any old car they are worth what someone will pay, and I too have been thinking of classics lost in recent floods, cyclones and earthquakes. Nothing compared to lives of course but still bloody sad.

phillip.weston, Feb 24, 9:04pm
Idiot. The Monaro is based on the large sedans at the time, ie Kingswood and Commodore. The Torana is what is based on a Vauxhall platform, but is extensively modified and not much remains the same.

richardmayes, Feb 24, 11:33pm
Shouldn't this thread be titled, "Stop PAYING so much for Monaros"!

I'm not surprised they're worth a bit, definitely one of the very few Aussie cars that are genuinely pretty. l would rather buy a Triumph Stag or a BMW 3.0CSi over that Monaro Ginga4 posted up, but to each his own.

(The later HQ shaped Monaros and the equivalent Ford Coupes are a bit too aggro in their style for me, might as well have come from the factory with "THUG LIFE" or "HATE COPS" stamped into the bumpers. )

afer_daily, Feb 24, 11:46pm
I know phil your right / i thought one more southerly cousinsmight bite first. But the ones they release in england now are called Vauxhall .

cuda.340, Feb 24, 11:48pm
early Monaros are cheap musclecars, they'll only go up in price much like the 'cuda in my garage, when i parked it up is was worth $45k usd, now it's closer to $75k usd. glad i bought it when i did, if i had room & more $ i'd be buying more old school musclecars, regardless of brand.

marcos1, Feb 25, 4:15am
I remember selling my HG monaro for $3500.
Still regret it to this day.

lookoutas, Feb 25, 4:45am
Had an HT back in the 70's. Good solid car, and handled great.

skippy33, Feb 25, 6:07am
what a tosser,lol

gunhand, Feb 25, 6:11am
Good solid car! thats funny on so many levels its not funny.
Not that I wouldnt have one.

cuda.340, Feb 25, 7:11am
actually he is correct. later shaped Monaros based on the commodore are very similar to the Vauxhall Camden which is available as a 2 door coupe. i was surprised it took so long to intro the later Monaro onto the Australasian market since the poms had a car that mimiced a 2 door commodore back in the early 90's. all it needed was a V8 transplant & you could have rebadged as your own Monaro long before the Aussies made one themselves.

lookoutas, Feb 25, 7:26am
I'm curious for an explanation on the funny angle 'gun'

gunhand, Feb 25, 7:33am
It just reminds how people say how much safer they are in these old tanks because there so solid. There moblile death traps compared to modern cars but you still can not tell some people. The only time you would be safe is if you run over or into a much smaller object. Ive seen many many videos of old tanks violently killing people in what would now be a quite survivable crash.
Im not sure if you were even thinking saftey but wasnt a dig at you persay.
As for actual solid, well the metal isnt that strong either.
But still have one myself and then drive carefull lol.

lookoutas, Feb 25, 7:50am
I about knew what ya meant gun. Modern design and materials are far better for survival.
I know when they were hit in the front, the doors wouldn't fit until grunted back out. And that was a mission too - broke a lot of chains doing it.
The one I brought was from a Wrecker who had already sold the 308 motor & box. Think it needed a door and whole R/F quarter. We did heaps of them back then so the saved repairable/damaged parts came in handy. Only had enough pingers to dump in a 202 & 3 speed for the short term - so with the V8 front springs and light engine, it sat flat as a turd in the corners.
Never did get the V8, as a damaged Camaro became available, so it was sold.

Half time must be over, so I'm off.

phillip.weston, Feb 25, 8:01am
I don't think there is a model called the 'Vauxhall Camden', at least I couldn't find it on google. Are you sure you aren't confusing it with the mid 80s Opel Monza coupe! I don't think Vauxhall had their badge equivalent of that model.

Anyhow, both the original guy and myself were talking about the Monaros based on the HG-HX Kingswoods, Commodores excluded.

cuda.340, Feb 25, 7:34pm
actually it may have been a Vauxhall Calton now that i think of it. Vauxhall had a big dealership called Camden which always tagged their cars with a professional looking badge that might be what cofused me. even so you could have made your own Monaro years before Holden did.

3tomany, Feb 25, 7:56pm
someone here might know better but h series is for holden and v reries is from donner vauxhaul even though they claim ve to be 100% austrailian p:S i dont think that monaro is realy very expensive, you dont play with these toys unless you can aford it

lookoutas, Feb 25, 8:10pm
Just had a looksee at that one on the link. It's got a Bathurst tank in it!