Repairing fibreglass guard flares

skyline_guy_r34, May 11, 11:07pm
Have them off my racecar at the moment and have noticed a few cracks and a couple of lulls in the fibreglass. Was thinking of using an epoxy weld to fix the cracks, and then using a fibreglass filler to get a good finish around the cracks and also to fill in the lulls and other scratches and imperfections.

Doesnt need to be a perfect job just need a bit of strength in the cracks and a tidy up before i paint them my colour for this year.

Sound like a quick and easy option for the cracks or is there a quicker/better method!

rob_man, May 12, 4:15am
They're probably made from polyester and that's the best material to repair them. Make sure you give the areas a grind, then use polyester resin and some chopped strand mat or woven cloth to do the structural bit then bog to finish. Epoxy is good stuff but polyester materials like bog don't like it very much and it's simplest to stick with the one type of resin.

spottie, May 12, 5:58am
Polyester doesn't stick to epoxy, doesn't like the amines in it. However epoxy does stick to polyester as long as the surface is fully cured or ground back.
If the flares are factory they may be made from SMC and you will have to use epoxy to repair them.

rob_man, May 12, 7:17am
I give up.

skyline_guy_r34, May 12, 7:21am
Sorry mate didnt mean to offend you, was trying to comment saying that the fibreglass filler and epoxy weld would be the same material like you suggested would be good!

rob_man, May 12, 7:32am
Actually, my bad. I didn't notice that you were the original poster. I thought you were just another blow-in come to say something different and didn't take the time to absorb what you wrote so.sorry.
The problem with using epoxy is that the polyester based fillers will react with the surface and leave a soft layer where the two meet. If you want to keep them separate by using one inside and one out I guess that would work but I don't see the need for it when polyester resin is so much cheaper and easier to get hold of. Your mate should be able to get a litre from his work if he can source CSM for you.

rob_man, May 12, 9:23am
The latter is a Newtech type filler and not a bog as such, I know it's the cheaper of the two but it will be hard to sand and shape because it will cure too hard. The first one is the more suitable product, you probably don't need a whole 3l of it though.

grangies, May 12, 9:35am
Likerob_man said. " make sure you give the areas a grind "

Just because the stuff seems nice and sticky, a good grind/sand will help it all the more.

Don't put any repairs over shiny or un-sandedareas.

Make sure it is clean of dirt, grease and dust too, before applying any filler material.

skyline_guy_r34, May 12, 9:35am
Alright so just go down to supercheap/repco and buy a polyester resin filler they have on the shelf and thatll do the job!

grangies, May 12, 9:42am
You're better off with something like this. http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx!pID=11

But I doubt Repco/Supercheap will sell it.

rob_man, May 12, 9:44am
Yes, they will probably have a smaller tin for less money.

skyline_guy_r34, May 12, 9:58am
Ive seen supercheap have a lightweight filler. Will this do the job and bond well with epoxy! or can i use it as a stand alone filler/crack fixer.

skyline_guy_r34, May 12, 10:00am

grangies, May 12, 10:07am

skyline_guy_r34, May 12, 10:12am
That one it is then. And should i use the epoxy weld or will this be plenty strong enough!

grangies, May 12, 10:13am
Even though the other stuff is called fiberglass reinforced filler, it will be harder to repair small cracks with, on fibre glass flares.

If they are just clip or bolt on flares, then they wont receive as much body stress as a moulded flare will.

grangies, May 12, 10:15am
The expoy weld will be good as a first step. As long as you grind the cracks right back.

A high quality super glue could be an easier to apply option. ( but, still grind the cracks back )

skyline_guy_r34, May 12, 10:24am
They are bolt on flares. Just had some hits i think so have small cracks varying from 1-4cms only a few in total. Won an auction for that epoxy weld for $2.50 so ill give that a bash. Dont have a grinder so ill have to sand the shit out of them before epoxy weld. and then that lightweight filler.

Cheers for your help mate

grangies, Feb 11, 10:06pm
No worries.

Just remember that they are only thin fiberglass, and will crack again sooner or later.

There's no way around it.