R,I,P Dyno operators

Page 1 / 7
toxicgreen., Apr 17, 10:46pm
About five weeks back i made a thread in computing,cause i hate auto trade,thread was "laptop,owner user needed in hamilton for car tune".A brief recap is i needed a tune on my aftermarket ECU.After one dyno run ,on a factory ecu gave my racecar 113kilowatts ATW (9psi boost,230psi in cylinder) and the tuner missed a half dead O2 sensor, Hopeless douch.Then the O2 died,yaa, i fit new 02, aligning fueling and timimg,car came to life,neck twisting stuff,throttle sensitivity,Bliss.Any way i got reinspired about my Cold Cylinder Technology and enhanced it even more added a aftermarket ECU and injector upgrade,went to next dyno, With 7PSI boost and 225psi in cylinder he got a lame 114kilowatts ATW.So sad. Big bucks to delete the necktwisting power ah.Hopeless! So i met a guy that Knows heaps about computors and very little about cars.(eg no previous tainted chinese whisper auto info in his head) Awesome combonation,Top of the class!All this non car guy cauld do is ask the motor wat it wanted,test wat it responded to. We found so many things wrong in last dyno guys set up of ECU,He had set it like a Normally aspirated motor,(no tuning variation thro positive turbo area) AIT was counteractive retarding a already bad timing map, Acceleration Enrichment was over flooding an already flooded fueling map.The last dyno guys map is now moved off my ECU an is just veiwed for laughs.I want to send him flowers, he must be dead man standing im sure.Now my new guy,and me have got over half way thro tuning and the car is all different,At 1psi boost at 120kph with one millimetre of throttle in 5th gear the car accelerates to 128kph and i cant hold a level 120ks unless i drop into a engine breaking situation .The throttle is so so sensitive,responsive an provides the purest of power ever ,Yaa we so got in the power zone now,3rd gear will take lite throttle and send car to 160ks easy as.A finale part of tuning to be done yet is getting sudden big full throttle applications fueled an timed correctly.RIP dyno guys,go home, tuning so needs to come out of the Auto trade, So YE HA Grandma ! ! Its really sad tho cause dyno machines are awsome,just the operators are not awesome. Two ways to tune a car,#1,dyno guys approach-return all vehicals to a tailpipe fueling figure(which does not account for any variables from cylinder intake charge to tailpipe exhaust readings)and get bla bla results at top dollars #2Treat every engine as a indervisual,go on a power hunting mission feed engine broard fueling and timing numbers untill you get power sensitivity, turn off ECU extras and only use if requiered. My car is coming on wild,we,v gone as far as we can for now,seat of the pants and a basic narrow band 02 got us this far now we need dyno room with no dyno operator,

clark20, Apr 17, 10:57pm
Unfortunately the non-car computer guy probably does not know what makes a motor go bang, peak HP does not mean it will live long. You just picked the wrong dyno guy. Need someone like Turbo vehicles (Mike) to do it right, but it won't be cheap.

mrfxit, Apr 17, 11:04pm
Yep there sure is that about it
Drag boys know all about that .

BUT interesting difference between them., need to find the middle ground.

Reco'd a twin cylinder honda many years ago that wasn't known for good performance.
Unknown to me, I had got the cam & fuel timing all wrong BUT, frick it was fast . chewed spark plugs every few minutes as well & was super thirsty.

Point is that the balance between performance & reliability was WAY OUT

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:06pm
I,v been to 3 dynos in past 1st guy blew the engine 2nd guy missed a half dead o2 3rd guy flooded engine an mis timed it ,My new guy is learning fast and My car is a one off where wat occurs in the cylinder and wats read at tail pipe do not corrospond Example in cylinder burn effeiciency is better than standard car and cooler than standard in exhaust its four times hotter and creates burns and secondary burns(in order to keep motor cooler) so at tail pipe wats read is not indicative of wats going on in cylinder

zoltec45, Apr 17, 11:13pm
Fuck sakes learn where the ENTER key is

xacoon, Apr 17, 11:17pm
yeh cos all dyno guys are created equal. throw as many computer techs as you like at any of my vehicles I cant see them doing too well.

phillip.weston, Apr 17, 11:21pm
what engine is this! 225-230psi compression suggests it's a high comp originally non-turbo motor, now running with a turbo. You basically need to get your tune bang on with a high comp turbo motor as the risk of running too lean and melting pistons is too high. A safe tune may not give you the absolute peak power, but will ensure the engine lasts alot longer than not being professionally tuned.

mrfxit, Apr 17, 11:24pm
So maybe you need to shift the sensors closer to the engine, maybe add a few more as well

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:27pm
We went bac to basics on this car and disconnected turbo actuator,fueled car all the way thro to redline at low cylinder presures (as we did this found VE table show burn effeciency equal to 1.8psi boost) Last dyno guyhad like 8 rows of tuning all for NA side of running an four rows for turbo on.

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:30pm
Phillip weston i might know you! engine ismazda 323 B6t with low comp pistons Original data is 196psi at 8 psi boost , iv coold cylinders so now 7psi boost gives me 235psi in cylinder. (ps 210psi is 11:1 )

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:35pm
On the right trac there tail pipe reads one figure flexy pipi another figure just after turbo another figure just before torbo another figure.
No figures are worth trusting to much and we dont use any corrosponding tables provided by ECU maker, gett some info close to motor then tickle numbers an little an see if feel better,

mazzyz, Apr 17, 11:37pm
Dyno's are seriously overated, you can just about get them to read any figure you like with some 'creative' input. We've never used one in nearly 30 years of racing and are doing fine, 6.68@215mph.

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:43pm
YOU DA MAN good on ya! another guy told me once "you dont race on a dyno ah"
I had turbo actuator off an got 118% bun effecieny .

mrfxit, Apr 17, 11:44pm
It's ALL relevant info.
Specific temps at specific parts of the exhaust relate to specific speeds of gas flow.
Certain types of gas & specific temps of that gas determine how fast that gas moves in a specific type / size & part of THAT exhaust pipe .sepperate but also regardless of any thermal constraints/ conditions before & or during the injection & combustion process.
If you can determine that all your exhaust system has a consistant temp reduction through out it's length, then you can rule out inconsistent exhausttemps as interfering with the injection & combustion system.

Can't get it in if you can't get it out in the first place.

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:48pm
Problem was last dyno guy got a huge amount in ,it all bottle necked up with bad timing an over fueling an stalled the flow thro issue so all motor did is make huge heat an no power

mrfxit, Apr 17, 11:49pm
Dyno's are for benchmarking
Track is for tweaking if it works ok on the dyno
To get a dyno close to work as if it's on a track, you would need a variable direction wind tunnel with track speed winds & THEN you could get reasonably closer to thetruth but STILL not a real track.

mrfxit, Apr 17, 11:51pm
AND . ^^ was that working. yes . no

movnon, Apr 17, 11:51pm
what ever you do, extended high power out put & engine longivity will never sleep in the same bed! (refer to aircraft power rating/TBO)

movnon, Apr 17, 11:52pm
do tell,how do you achieve better than 100%!

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:53pm
No . NOt working. The guy missed the power zone id give car two inchs of thottle an wait till the coughing stopped then wait for the motor to lethargically climb to redline,just hopless.

mrfxit, Apr 17, 11:54pm
Correction & added

Can't get it in if you can't get it out in the first place if you want it to work correctly.

Will a 750 double pumper Holly work properly & efficiently on a std 253ci v8 fitted with a std factory exhaust

mrfxit, Apr 17, 11:57pm
It's a relative measuement used to relate percentage of increase compared to before the last mods.
Sets a new benchmark from original start point.
Not a good way to describe it at 118% but defiantly a "bigger penis" way to say it

toxicgreen., Apr 17, 11:58pm
If you knock off 400 - 500 degress from cylinder wall surface temp the intake charge is densor,, and increases fuel stabilty level and runs extended burn / power production for a longer time of piston travell. I run 91 Gull Rated stabile to 210psi-11:1 irun 230psi-13.2:1greatnow.Stable as

toxicgreen., Apr 18, 12:02am
My new guy on job asks questions like movnon,go movnon, Better than shooting it down, got the pip huh mrfixit!

toxicgreen., Apr 18, 12:08am
Thats a trick question. If you cool cylinders at the cylinder(retain less exhaust heat)it will be the air volume that gives you power,