Your interpretation of a rule

cuda.340, Apr 4, 7:35am
today was the Nostalgia Drags, it's a great meeting with lots of old school rides going hard. to be eligable to race the host club laid out the rules on their website so you knew in advance if you qualify to race. if we read their first 2 rules, tell me what cars you think should be allowed to compete.
1/ALL CARS MUST BE AMERICAN ORIGIN OR CLASSED AS AMERICAN OR NEW ZEALAND ORIGIN.
2/ALL CARS MUST BE PRE 1972
ok so with just those 2 rules what can you bring to the competition!

gunhand, Apr 4, 7:39am
How do you class something as american! it is or isnt. Or is it american design made in china. And was there anything made in NZ pre 72, if so take that.

berg, Apr 4, 7:41am
Pre 72 or made to appear pre 72 and of USA or NZ origin or appearing to be USA origion

peril787b1, Apr 4, 7:44am
So briefly reading those rules, you'd be allowed to take a NZ assembled Toyota or Mazda as long as it was rolled out pre 72!

cowboy110, Apr 4, 7:45am
Pre 72 and not Jappa or Euro.But where does that leave Holden and aussie Falcons!

cuda.340, Apr 4, 7:46am
what you have to remember is NZ had assembly plants that knocked up the parts in a box, added a bit of local content & you had NZ new but from over seas. take a XY Falcon, they had a left hand drive variation originally in the USA called a Falcon Sprint. Valiants were American designs with a locally made US design engine fitted & front end treatments. HT Monaros had 327 engines, GM style suspension packages on Australian designs. all cars have US rootes but which qualify to partake!

petermcg, Apr 4, 8:03am
I think they just dont want me there, as I have a 73 Lada.

petermcg, Apr 4, 8:05am
Forgot to mention the modifications, Band Expander,and a Sub.
(edit. I have soundracer ordered but not here yet)

gunhand, Apr 4, 8:05am
What sort of Lada! My nephew wants one.

marcos1, Apr 4, 8:06am
Did not this issue come up last year!
And was resolved!

petermcg, Apr 4, 8:08am
One of those ones modelled after a Fiatbut just not painted yellow, actually better than a Fiat,, well better heater any way.

gunhand, Apr 4, 8:11am
Is it a 4x4 or a car, sorry shouldnt hijack the thread but ladas are not thick on the ground. and would you sell it!

cuda.340, Apr 4, 8:15am
yes the same issue came up last year but instead of researching last years problem they did a rule change but it only confused the issue further.

big.b-lil.c, Apr 4, 10:43pm
american or treka built before 1972

smac, Apr 4, 11:16pm
They need to define 'origin'. i.e. do they mean assembled here, or designed here, or sold here but built elsewhere is ok. Waaay open to interpretation.

cuda.340, Apr 5, 5:28am
you're not wrong on the need to define the word "origin", i would use the word origin to mean if a car was originally designed in the US even if it was built elsewhere it would be ok, e.g. XW Falcon or if it were to be partially built in the US & sent down under for finishing with local content e.g. VF/VG valiant coupe, would also qualify. agree!

cuda.340, Apr 5, 6:49am
nah your toyota & nissan are jap origin for sure, no way you can call them NZ cars even tho they're assembled here. when you think toyota, new zealand is not in the same line of thought.

fordcrzy, Apr 5, 7:02am
did they build nissan or toyotas in NZ pre 72!

cuda.340, Oct 1, 2:06pm
they built Hilmans!