Bicycles being registed

ssg3000, Apr 4, 4:03am
Do you think cyclists who use the roads should have to get their bikes registed. The money going towards ACC levies that all other road users have to pay and yet the cyclists still recieve the benefits

bellus_sybarite, Apr 4, 4:16am
anyway to make a dollar in this country !

bubbles52, Apr 4, 4:38am
yes, and moto x riders

im_andrew, Apr 4, 4:40am
should we start fitting hubodometers to bikes too, as a way of taxing them on distance!

afer_daily, Apr 4, 4:42am
mirrors would be a start .

zak410, Apr 4, 4:51am
great idea!
.and pedestrians too.
and the little ones still in prams, they use nearly as much space as a small car and pay nothing!
think how wide the roads could be without footpath! we could all drive big cars!

bigfatmat1, Apr 4, 5:09am
they don't use the road. thats like saying registering rugby shoes

thejazzpianoma, Apr 4, 5:13am
I would rather everyone has an "ACC Card" with endorsements for motorcycle riding, road cycling (if over 18), rugby club membership etc.

Then its fair, you don't get bikies suffering because they have a few collectable motorbikes but can only ride one at a time etc.

carstauranga001, Apr 4, 5:22am
Better register ladders too as a lot of people clain ACC after falling from them. And scateboards, roller blades, roller skates, off road bikes motor or peddle power, quad bikes, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, knives and scissors too!

gunhand, Apr 4, 5:28am
It should be more about high risk sport etc than just what uses the road.
As for push bikes, well its a hard one. I for one would not want to as I only use it a few times a year and useually just with the kids. And do you tax every kid with a bikeor do we wait till there 18 or even 16. And how would you pay, Kms done a year, what the bike is used for or some other way.
But those who use ACC should pay if at high risk. But who decides that! Does a parachutist pay ACC to maybe just jump twice a year. What about lawn bowlers, hell of dangerous sport if you arse up.
Its a case of where do you draw the line.

rsr72, Apr 4, 5:40am
Rear vision mirrors, a loud bell or horn, a flag stick with a dayglo flag, and registration for sharing our roads.
That'll cure 'em.

pollymay, Apr 4, 6:12am
As much as I hate them I don't think so. Mountain bikers and the likes are among these people who don't even use the road but you can be damn sure if they went near it the police would enforce, likewise kids. Where do you draw the line, I mean pedestrians cross the road to and get hit. Should we be enforcing tax levies for crossing the road to!

Jazz has a point with the personal ACC card but it isn't a money spinner so likely will never happen.

johnf_456, Apr 4, 6:17am
+1 Yup, then make it more users pays so if you go high risk stuff like driving a bike for example you pay more than someone who never drives for example.

dr.doolittle, Apr 4, 6:21am
Na, just ask the politicians to whack it on the price of fuel if you're worried about it.

demons, Apr 4, 6:50am
no like ive said before . every person should be registed ,per say. you can only do one at a time so why register every vechile you own . include third party and everyone can afford to be allowed to drive any car boat bike wot eva really. easy

bigfatmat1, Apr 4, 7:21am
well y dont we just scrap acc all together and pay for our own insurance through insurance companies. then if ya don't pay ya don't get fixed.

zephyrheaven, Apr 4, 7:25am
Ive got 5 cars & 2 trailers - I consider myself 'paid up' in this ridiculous system!! Try & charge my mountainbike - I dare ya

rustihammer, Apr 4, 7:28am
Same here!

matthew111, Apr 4, 7:29am
and cats and dogs who run across the road. All for it.

rif_raf13, Apr 4, 12:42pm
Naaaa!Just deport all the tax whiners and general whingers to Iraq.
Oh and include all the gnational party members and supporters.
There what a beautiful world!

gooddealz2, Apr 4, 12:51pm
3 Cars.If I'm on my bike I'm paid up in my opinion on whichever car's not being used.How many times do you want us to pay!Not all cyclists are nutters as are not all drivers.Too much generalisation going on.

carkitter, Apr 4, 1:04pm
How exactly do bikies suffer! Most look pretty contented to me, riding around ignoring speed limits and disturbing the peace on their one-cylinder wonders.

franc123, Oct 1, 11:46am
Too right it should be levied on an individual basis, wallop the accident prone and careless into submission and make the buggers pay, if you don't have accidents, no problem you get coverage cheaply, if you do you pay big time.Watch the standard of driving improve overnight and people giving up dumb and unnecessary sports like rugby and motorcross en masse.