AU 220kw utes

Page 2 / 3
xacoon, Mar 30, 9:06pm
and a kenworth makes better torque figures than a skoda, whats your point! its not about diesels, its about a big lazy 8, an unstressed motor that will quite happily do 300 000 without being touched, and if anything does go wrong is generally cheaply and easily fixed. hope you have a better understanding now.

xacoon, Mar 30, 9:07pm
genuine john deere flaps. does that mean john deere are for c#@ts!

ct9a, Mar 30, 9:26pm
no for high rollers who like quality

well most cars do 300,000kms now ,what is the point your trying to get accross in your biased quotes!

xacoon, Mar 31, 12:31am
you calling someone else biased. priceless. I dont care what you drive, just the comment about a ute being a slug, what next! a bus is a snail! well bugger me and here I was thinking their main pourpose wasnt to be the fastest thing on the road but a comfortable way to move a load, and john deere quality for high rollers! maybe if you are high! now I know you really are taking the piss.

xacoon, Mar 31, 12:32am
just coz a john deere is overpriced doesnt mean its quality. have fun playing with your flaps.

ct9a, Mar 31, 1:05am
high rollers who like quality= rich people who purchase over priced genuine parts.

they are slugs,a client has one with a stroker kit etc
looks nice with roll bar and 19" wheels etc in the ford blue.

i am not biased.unlike most here

i prefer a diesal turbo for a ute then a petrol v8 that is my opinion.
better in everyway except noise!

i do not have flaps to play with just obviously larger nuts then you .but thanks for the suggestion il go home and ask the wife.

1fordluva, Mar 31, 1:11am
Oh no.Bowl of popcorn here munch munch

ct9a, Mar 31, 1:32am
a "face palm" action is required.

another thing that amuses me is listening to the dribble from people to the police on police 10-7.

is this where we are heading!

xacoon, Mar 31, 1:45am
hahaha oh you are amusing. keep telling yourself that.

ct9a, Mar 31, 2:17am
there is no need to
yes i am biased towards jappanese and european vehicles happy to admit that.
i am amazed such things amuse you,must be your isolation.
my bike is 4sale perhaps it may suit you!(ford or holden dont make dirtbikes)

xacoon, Mar 31, 4:16am
thanks for the offer, but the only 2 strokes I have in my shed are made by stihl. and for bikes I will buy chinese before I buy a kawasaki off road bike, but thats just my opinion, and I am allowed that arent I! or does the "isolation" negate that luxury!
out of curiosity, the surf with the stacks and the "flaps", I gotta know was the guy who got it done a "son of the soil"! coz thats considered redneck even in these isolated parts. (nissan or toyota dont make tractors or aeroplanes)

chris_051, Mar 31, 6:05am
What kind of diesels! Fiat 1.2! Cat C15! My manual Falcon shits all over the new Rangers and BT50s we have at work for REAL WORLD torque, and thats before you take the 30% taller gearing of the Falcon into consideration. Ohh and twice the peak power. The only thing those diesels have over the Falons is fuel economy.

nave12, Mar 31, 7:15am
LOL classic

ct9a, Mar 31, 7:47pm
rather then stress the point accross here is some light reading.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_a_diesel_engine_produce_more_torque_than_a_petrol_engine

i am unsure what REAL WORLD torque is though!

both the base model falcon and bt 50 produce around 380nm torque
but power are hugely different,could you explain to me why that is! when torque and the speed is the debate!

this is a point i do not understand the "old " way of thinking that torque is everything.

and mate chinese bikes are getting there so keep buying and supporting them so they are able to continue to mass produce cheap goods for the world.

sadly they will never be as refinned as the jap mx bikes but hey

xacoon, Mar 31, 8:26pm
"mate" i ride japanese, just wont touch kawasaki. maybe you could upgrade to chinese!
old way of thinking! or just that some of us are in the business where we need torque every day. keep spouting on all you like about diesel, I have personally burnt tens of thousands of litres this summer, and needed every ounce of torque on tap, so call me old fashioned but yeh I think torque is more important than kw ratings.
the bt 50 will use the same amount of fuel if not more than a base model falcon, add in ruc and maintenance costs. yep as a farm truck a bt is great, on a farm, where funnily enough, torque is more important than kw. for a road going vehicle though the ease and comfort of a falcon ute in my eyes wins hands down. yeh sure you are limited off road, but how many hiluxes are on the roads at the moment that have never seen a dirt track.
I have done enough towing over the years in both v8s and diesels, and for a comparable ute deck sized load I know what I would rather do the long journey in, and the diesel comes in second.

xacoon, Mar 31, 8:34pm
but here you are getting all pious again, all the original poster wanted to know is how an au ute goes. not to be told that he should buy a diesel. how bout we let him have his toy eh!
OP for what they are they go well, pull a load nicely and are comfortable. parents have just ticked over 300 000 in their series 3 fairmont, havent had a single problem yet. mate with a series 2 xr6 is in the same situation, bout 350000, not been touched.

ct9a, Mar 31, 8:59pm
pious! we are not talking religion here
have not told any one to buy a diesel.
most vehicles do 300,000km plus these days not just aussie vehicles
jappanese to chinese is not an upgrade
we all use torque every day ,even nana
it all depends on the application
if your theory was correct we will be seeing all major trucking firms use petrol!

xacoon, Mar 31, 9:26pm
oh so the au he was looking at buying was as an alternative to a western star, sorry my bad.

xacoon, Mar 31, 9:34pm
never said jap to chinese was an upgrade, I said kawasaki dirtbike to chinese is.
yes torque depends on application, yes we all use it everyday, do you see me argueing against that! for a every day driver that can carry a reasonable load, a falcon ute is going to be more practical or comfortable than a bt or a ranger, hilux etc, which realistically are all fairly thirsty options, so there goes the economy arguement out the window. big lazy low stressed motor that if on the offchance something does go wrong is cheap and easy to fix. whats wrong with that! or are we going to start on with tow weight ratings now!

xacoon, Mar 31, 9:35pm
out of curiosity what were you comparing it to with the slug comment! another ute!

ct9a, Apr 1, 4:13am
as always alot quicker then your v6 will ever be

please dont bowl another under arm back i dont support aussie rubbish

ct9a, Apr 1, 4:15am
its essentially a 5l v8 ute yes but basically a falcon lets be honest
so i compare to any other n/a v8 such as audi,lexus etc.

i dont see how you could say any of the diesel range would use the same amount of fuel economy wise,and diesel is claimable back on the gst along with rego/ruc.

fordguy17, Apr 1, 4:17am
Utes got the 200kw donk, which was a slightly smaller throttle body and a different cam. The late series 2/3 sedans got the 220 and had a 70mm throttle body, different cam (slightly) and some got the yella terra rockers. AU's were considering extremely reliable, the only downfall is the look of them. Reliability wise, they are top notch. All of the injected falcon windsors are very reliable.

chris_051, Apr 1, 6:37am
There ya go right there your mis understanding of torque by quoting on paper peak torque figures which are completely misleading and irrelevant in the real world. Go and drive a manual Falcon 4 or 5 litre and compare to these turbo diesels and you'll see what one has the more torque and no dead zone/lag in the whole rev range. The only thing the turbo diesel has going for it is fuel economy under high loads.

mopsy3, Apr 2, 12:04am
You forget to add that the BA is a pig to handle and they dont like to stop whereas the AU series 2 & 3 handles well, even the utes, and they stop, when necessary on a dime.