Southlanders - scam

mr.anderson, Apr 5, 12:11am
Ok, so if this has been posted before, apologies.My partner was visiting her parents down south at the weekend.We're in the market for a new car so when she saw this in the Saturday edition of the Southland Times, we thought we'd found a winner; "2008 Toyota Corolla, 87k km's, Red, Manual, Good Condition, etc. $7800"It was one of those quite small, plain jane ad's.SoI emailed away (she brought the ad home to Dunedin)Then today I get the reply, "I'm in Australia going through a divorce, the car is in Auckland, you send me money through safe trader, etc and I'll send you the car, yarda yarda, you get the picture.Was sent through pictures aswell, and car details, etc plate, reg, etc.thought this is just too good to be true!Anyone else see this ad/reply to it!

kcf, Apr 5, 12:15am
Happens constantly and in every form of advertising I've seen.

Ring Southland Times, and ensure they don't run the ad again.

clark20, Apr 5, 12:30am
Run the plate through carjam or find out who really owns it.

guest, Apr 5, 2:00am
Hey all, unfortunately scammers have placed scam classifieds in newspapers for vehicles. The interested buyer was sent an email telling them to pay money to an overseas account by wire transfer (e.g. Western Union.). In other instances they were told to pay money into a NZ bank account ??

mecanix, Sep 30, 12:01pm
yep.look out for the overseas buyer that wants to pay you via pay pal.

they will only comunicate via a g mail adress and always want you to ship the goods to them.