Racegas at Caltex

petal_91, Mar 31, 8:40am
I have recently moved to the deep south and the local Caltex sells Racegas at the pump. This is at Kurow in South Canterbury by the way. I gather this is 105 octane for river jet boats. Could I use this in my Jap import Legnum VR-4! They apparently only sell it to jet boaters, but I can borrow a jetboat.

cuda.340, Mar 31, 8:51am
your jap car will want to run on unleaded & if it truely is 105 octane it will not make any improvement.

skyline_guy_r34, Mar 31, 8:52am
Thought racegas was leaded! Bugger your engine after a while wouldnt it!

bdogg1, Mar 31, 8:53am
I think all you need to do is 'thin' it down with normal petrol to get it to 99/100 octane. You'll need to tune your car to run it for optimum results too.

morrisman1, Mar 31, 9:01am
no point, your car will not be tuned to take advantage of the fuel plus if it does have lead in it then your oxygen sensors will get a bashing.

It probably doesn't have road tax on it hence why it wont be sold for use on the road. What colour is the fuel!

petal_91, Mar 31, 9:04am
I am not sure if it has lead, but it seems there is a good chance it will, according to my googling. Oh well nevermind.

1ollie, Mar 31, 9:12am
They also sell it(or used to) at Mobil in Feilding by the old entance to Manfeild on the pump but you can only put it in containers or in a race type vehicle on a trailer and sometimes ask what its for.
It probably Avgas but either way no gain will be achived by running it in a car thats not tuned for it! also its illegal to use on the road.

morrisman1, Mar 31, 9:16am
Avgas 100LL (low lead) is blue, avgas 100/130 (lean/rich octane rating) is green. if you want to know if it has lead in it then spill some on your hands, let it evaporate and you will end up with some white residue which is lead. Works with 100/130 but not sure if 100LL has the same effect.

To be honest I'm not sure if 100LL is in NZ yet, we use BP which pumps out 100/130 but greenstone energy (mobil/shell) may be different but it's unlikely.

intrade, Mar 31, 9:57am
lead is what cant be in the fuel for cat convertors wont root the engine only the cat. be top on older engines that needed lead substitute when unleadedcame out.

sr2, Mar 31, 10:22am
Lead will also take out your lambda sensor, very quickly!

trouser, Mar 31, 7:56pm
And your platinum plugs

johnf_456, Mar 31, 8:14pm
As said above, if you have an old carby type car with no o2 and all the sensors etc forget it. Some older engines need the lead to help them run better.

sw20, Sep 17, 2:42am
Yeah I used it in my kx 125