Why queue for the northern toll gateway payment?

callum.irvine, Mar 22, 6:24am
Can't believe all the people who still insist on queuing up to prepay the toll at the northern gateway toll road. I have used it about 6 times, only been charged 4 times. If you use it, just pay afterwards online or via the 0800 number. There is always the chance your plate hasn't been captured :-)As an aside, does anyone have a laser scrambler, and does it work to mess up the detection! My valentine detector always gives a laser alert when driving under the cameras

morrisman1, Mar 22, 6:35am
charging for the sake of charging. Madness!

richms, Mar 22, 6:43am
IMO they should just bill you for any outstanding when you go to re register the vehicle, nice and simple and low cost.

morrisman1, Mar 22, 6:49am
Don't be so logical richms! Did you not know the world is discouraging signs of intelligence!

xs1100, Mar 22, 6:54am
at over 2 k would of been easier to remove the plates and the rego sticker off the screen (notice the bar code on it) and just stop down the road and put back on take 5 mins max

smac, Mar 22, 7:11am
lol.I think you're slightly overestimating the cameras used.

richms, Mar 22, 7:46am
Them's the breaks when you allow people direct debit access when you dont have the money in your account. Thats his mistake, not owning the 7 or anything else.

chris_051, Mar 22, 8:07am
By the time you've qued to pay for the toll, then drive the highway behind right lane hoggers at 80-90kmh, you'd be a good 10 kay ahead if you went via waiwera/orewa.

callum.irvine, Mar 22, 8:09am
Nice surprise for the new owner if you sell the car.

moosie_21, Mar 22, 8:10am
God I love NOT driving in Auckland (although I have to do it this weekend if I want to get to my concert, damn.)

richms, Mar 22, 10:20am
Should become aware of it when trying to load the change of ownership - flip side of the risk that sellers take in that buyers will not transfer it really. no biggie.

richardmayes, Mar 22, 6:13pm
It works by character recognition software that scans the photo of your car, finds the number plate, then works out what each letter is. Hell of a lot better system than the old fashioned row of manned toll booths.

Pay the tolls or drive the long way around through Orewa. No-one's forcing you to use the new expressway.

johnf_456, Mar 22, 10:20pm
Nothing wrong with them catching people over the limit, if your over the limit why shouldn't you get a ticket! Over the limit is over the limit, yes I agree some speed limits are a bit dump but thinking you have a blatant right to ignore them and moan you got caught in the act is not the way about it.

johnf_456, Aug 15, 1:49pm
Pal I agree with you hence saying "I agree some speed limits are a bit dump", basically saying I do not agree with speed limits on certain roads has some roads more then capable of going faster but when you have muppets who cannot handle 100 you always have to suffer for the lowest common denominator. So yes I agree with you but ignoring the speed limit is not the way to go about it in my opinion. If everyone had that attitude of what they choose to obey and not obey there would be no point.