Black Number Plates

73coop, Mar 20, 9:53pm
does anyone know if they can be restored as in spruced up!

gtrmotorsport, Mar 20, 9:56pm
Ya paint them black and run the face over a belt sander

johnf_456, Mar 20, 11:44pm
Technically no as its illegal to modify government issued plates, but.

toxicgreen., Mar 20, 11:50pm
If plate has never de-redgistered it should be tidied up before o wof inspecter sees it,if a wof inspecter ever says a plate does not dislpay properly then you have to get replacement plates,,

johnf_456, Mar 20, 11:52pm
Really!

gtrmotorsport, Mar 20, 11:55pm
Um im not around the VIRM but i am sure that we have nothing to do with the condition of a number plate thats a police thing.

franc123, Mar 21, 1:48am
Sounds like you've been smoking a bit of toxicgreen.Plate condition and presence is an issue between the vehicle operator and the police and nobody else.

richms, Mar 21, 3:47am
You can get a warrant with no plate. The stupid thing is, they still check the lights at the back work to illuminate the no plate because they assume that you are going to put one there.

You can get a warrant with the plate sitting in the front window. They will warn you that its not legal but still give you the warrant.

johnf_456, Mar 21, 4:33am
Stopping smoking weed, didn't ya mummy tell you that stuff messes with your brain. Plates are not a wof issue, unless the wizard imagine it is.

paull, Mar 21, 5:30am
left a bag of green at me nanas the other day and when i went back to get it i said nana ! wheres me bag of green herbs and she said f__k the green herbs have ya seen the dragons in the back yard!

mantagsi, Mar 21, 6:32am
This coming from the same poster who advocated putting a dash of petrol in your used motor oil and using it for fuel. I would be wary about advice from him/her :)

johnf_456, Mar 21, 8:29am
Thanks for the advice

ladyjet1, Mar 21, 8:48am
I modified my plates on my classic mini - spray painted matt black and ran grinder over edge and letters/numbers - never had any drama's with warrants, and figured I'd just play the dumb female card if cops hassled me :)

toxicgreen., Mar 21, 10:06am
Yeah ,yeah watever,,I got oldschool black/silver plates on my road,racecar an they are cool, i got pulled over one night because the cop "was,nt tuned in to seeing a black plate" cop thought i had no plates as a i went past,,stealthy. So i protect those plates, I keep them in good nick so no-one ever questions taking them off me."They" all want people to have the reflective white plates for camaras an tickets .,but not for me.oh, opps, bet iv missed a few tickets then ,lol.get notted

nzmax, Mar 21, 12:06pm
for the black plates on the front of my Laurel, I just ran over the whole plate with fine sandpaper to cut the black paint and shine the letter/numbers, then masked off the letters/number and spraypainted with some gloss black paint. Came up like new. The back plate still looks like new so didnt touch it.

73coop, Mar 21, 7:27pm
Thanks. I've only have one plate as well that could do with a tidy up.

dave653, Mar 22, 2:04am
Same here, when I dug the front plate out of the clay, I hamered it flat, used a short steel rod the same width as the pressed digits, to 'fill them out' again, wire brushed it, painted it satin black then used a sanding disc in the grinder to give it some silver shine, came up like new!

donz01, Aug 13, 7:01pm
600 grit for a quick scuff then polished up the letters etc with some scotchbrite. Sprayed it with some gloss black. Clean the paint off the polished letters using prepsol before its dry. Aquick polish next day with scotchbrite and they look great.