DIY LPG conversion, certification and WOF

thejazzpianoma, May 17, 3:09am
I am just looking into the possibility of importing a sequential LPG kit and installing it myself.

Does anyone know what the go is with getting this Certed and WOF'd!

I am assuming the initial certification is different to an LPG WOF!

Also, anyone know any friendly certifiers who would be happy to do this for me in the North Island!

Thanks in advance!

mrfxit, May 17, 3:21am
You WILL need a certifier thats happy for you to do the install work, BUT even then you won't be allowed to connect anything.

Same attitude & risks as it is with electricians/ plumbers/ drainlayers etc etc, a good pro that you have "an understanding" with, will be happy for you to do the install but DON'T connect anything.

1st system install is always really picky because they have to check pipe/wiring install paths /joints /mounts etc etc.& yes 1st cert is very different to a gas wof.

martin11, May 17, 4:02am
Do not waste your money

andrea_w, May 17, 4:31am
lol this is Jazz who's asking. if he's asking, he's done the homework and it WILL be cost effective
He is totally anal when it comes to working out a vehicles annual costs etc lol

What sort of car are you looking at doing this conversion to Jazz!

yogibearz, May 17, 4:48am
there was a LPG gas WOf station in Rotorua. KM Motors. Dont know if he still does it or not.

ghost-roaster, May 17, 5:17am
Ring PF auto's in Birch Ave in Tauranga. They will soon tell you what you can and can't do.

movnon, May 17, 5:46am
Unless the rules have changed in the last 25 years you have to be certified to do an install. I have the ticket but have not done one for 25 years.

ladatrouble, May 17, 6:14am
I have the cert too - but I had a break in and someone stole it. It was no use to me, they must've liked the frame. Maybe there are a few dodgy conversions out there with my name on.all irrelevant anyway.

mrfxit, May 17, 7:05am
True BUT . as I said above >>>

thejazzpianoma, May 17, 9:54am
Thanks for your input everyone, sorry I have only just got back to the thread.

In answer to your questions:

* Yes its cost effective, martin11, so long as I can convert it myself and the certification is not overly costly. Thanks andrea_w you hit the nail on the head and gave me a great laugh.

* Vehicle being converted will be a MK2 Punto (of course) there are lots of these running on LPG in Europe and they seem to go particularly well. The install video for one of the kits even uses one for the demonstration. I suspect Fiat actually have LPG in mind when they design these engines as I am pretty sure they offer LPG on the likes of the Punto in some countries. Certainly the Multipla of the same time period was available as a Dual fuel factory vehicle.

* alan1111 I would be very interested in getting in touch. I am in Te Puke area but would be more than happy to bring the vehicle over to you in Tokoroa/Putaruru (several times if need be) so you can see/check progress etc if you were happy to cert it for me. Alternatively if you were happy for me to supply the kit and you would like to fit it or some other arrangement I would be interested to discuss. Bottom line is I have time on my hands, a decent workshop, and can only justify the conversion if its a lot cheaper than the circa $4500 some seem to be charging. I have viewed an installation video, read the instructions and I can't see anything in the process that looks over my head. I have good general mechanical, bodywork, electrical and electronics experience. I am pretty good with ECU's, fuel injection, ignition etc too. That said, I am not over-confident and am pretty fussy and not afraid to ask questions.

Thanks again everyone, super helpful as always!

chris_051, May 17, 10:16am
IMO you should check what sort of mileage it will return on lpg assuming it's a mixer set up. My old AU 4.0 would return 7.6l/100km on 91 and 10.5 on LPG so the savings weren't really worth it. My 5.4 V8 Fairlane is on vapor LPG injection and returns 11l/100km while I get 9 on 91. So it then becomes more worth while with injection. All my figures are open road.

thejazzpianoma, May 17, 10:47am
Thanks chris, you are quite right to point that out and I have already done this. I am looking at a very new technology sequential system thats very efficient, programmable and works in tandem with the cars existing ECU.

Thats part of the reason for going with the Punto too, it seems that set up properly for our kind of use we would only go from about 5.5l/100km on petrolto 6.5l/100km on LPG.

I wouldn't expect that with every car, its just the Punto seems to suit LPG particularly well. I will be double checking and doing further research to be as certain as possible before I commit to the project though.

Right now though I need to gauge the feasibility of a cost effective installation before I finalise the rest of the figures.

guest, Aug 2, 4:10am
we have one for sale if anyone wants one?