25 Colour Variants.

grangies, Jun 4, 6:58am

rob_man, Jun 4, 7:02am
I've had a couple of run ins with that one lately myself.

mothergoose_nz, Jun 4, 7:02am
and they are all satin silver .

gunhand, Jun 4, 7:07am
And are there the 25 refference chips to go with it, nooooooo prob not.What a joke.

gammelvind, Jun 4, 7:07am
Haha get it all the time, "why can't you just mix the colour to the code and have it match!"The variants that flow forth from the manufacturer ( yes I understand how most of them occur ) are bloody frustrating.

rob_man, Jun 4, 8:16am
Lesonal is usually pretty good at keeping the number of variants sensible and their colour swatches are generally up to scratch. I find that any colour that appears to be a problem in one system is also going to be notorious in the others and those two are fairly well known as troubled, retarded bastard children from the colourmap of the devil's own paint system.
Having said that, I had a 1C0 go out this morning and the (prime) colour was great, straight off the scales. Eh Tony!

sifty, Jun 4, 8:18am
Is a Variant a Japanese Chrysler.!

rob_man, Jun 4, 8:19am
Yes, yes it is. You must be a painter too.

grangies, Jun 4, 8:25am
Not 25 chips at all.

So I just mixed the standard and tweaked it with a bit of fine metallic and grey transparent to lighten it up.

The hardest part is, that the job is only the front and rear bumpers, so there is no blending allowance, unless I flick the rear quarters and front guards. ROFL.

And the damn thing has already got touch ups on the left rear quarter and right front guard that are a bit out in the colour.

The left rear quarter is very ugly and looks like fry up material even for a blend.

grangies, Jun 4, 8:35am
Have you tried the Sikkens BT 120 basecoat yet!

rob_man, Jun 4, 8:59am
Is that an uprated basecoat system or waterborne! I had Sikkens autobase before I got Lesonal a few years back and it was a bit hit/miss on the colours, I find Lesonal a lot better and way cheaper.

grangies, Jun 5, 6:18am
The BT120 Basecoat is an Indonesian manufactured system, made in the AKZO Nobel factory there.

It's aimed at the commercial vehicle market, but all colours are formulated for all car makes, and the entire colour map.

The only colours unavailable are Xirallic pearls.

The price is only $54 per liter mixed (all colours). And it feels just like Lesonal when you spray it.

They also do a 2K mix for $50 per litre for all colours, and the hardeners are $39 per litre.

johnf_456, Jun 5, 6:31am
Heck

rob_man, Jun 5, 7:34am
I'll ask the Otbury rep about it next time he calls. How good are the colours!

grangies, Jun 5, 7:55am
Colours are just as good as Lesonal so far.

Only available pre-mixed though. But are tintable with the Lesonal system. If you get a job in that requires more more than 500ml that doesn't need to be tinted straight away (Otbury will get it there same day or overnight) I highly recommend it.

It's basically half the price and from the same manufacturer and seems exactly the same LOL.

rob_man, Jun 5, 8:35am
I'm not about to start buying in mixes, most of mine are 150 ml, maybe 200 so it would end up costing more.

beno, Jun 5, 8:59am
and the answer is" big blends"State job is it!

rob_man, Jun 5, 9:38am
This how it goes: "How far can you blend a colour!"
Answer: "How big is the car!"

gunhand, Jun 5, 9:40am
I reckon you could blend from the front all the way to back myself.

rob_man, Jun 5, 9:46am
Yep, just don't go over the tops of the guards or it'll look funny against the bonnet and boot.