Cant remove key unless .

stevo2, Jun 9, 3:31am
Son in Laws Toyota Cynos has just developed a problem. He cant remove the key after turning it off. He's tried moving the steering wheel, the auto shift lever etc but the only way he can remove the key is to disconnect the battery.
What would be causing this!

gadgit3, Jun 9, 3:50am
There is a small square box on the side of the Ign barrel. This is a lock so as you can not pull the key unless in park. It must be having a bit of a moment. But the good news is it's only held on with two screws and can be easily removed.

bellky, Jun 9, 3:50am
Ignition barrel (keyway) stuffed. I fixed ours by fitting a new barrel.

ceebee2, Jun 10, 2:29am
When you get the key out, drown the slot with WD-40, works a treat.

gadgit3, Jun 10, 2:46am
The key is being held in via electrical. thats why it comes out when the battery is disconnected so no amount of WD is going to fix it I'm afraid. The fault in not uncommon and I have fixed plenty by just removing the solenoid from the ign barrel.

stevo2, Jun 10, 6:21pm
Thanks Gadgit3. I caught up with him last night, he had left the battery unhooked for a day and it appears ok at this stage, but I assume it will return.
If the solenoid was removed, would that mean the key can be removed while the cars running! and if it fell out while driving, would the steering lock engage!

gadgit3, Jun 10, 9:04pm
No the key will only be able to be removed when in the lock position as per normal but instead of having to put the car in Park to move from acc to lock you will now be able to do that opperation in any gear.

lolzor123, Jun 11, 1:45am
My '87 toyota sprinter didn't have a solenoid - I use to frequently leave the car in drive, instead of 'park' by mistake. Now I have a manual and never have to think about it ;)