Datsun K01 forklift carb jets

pdc1, Jun 10, 6:12am
Wondering if anyone has a manual that could tell me what the right jets are for the carburetor.It is early 1980's, has a J15 engine, and has the Hitachi carb (which is a 2 barrel that has been blanked into a single barrel at factory) In particular I need the main jet size, but would like to know all the others as well.
Cheers

morrisman1, Jun 10, 6:13am
J15, not A15! Is the carby a DCG306 model!

pdc1, Jun 10, 11:27am
Yes it is a J15. I've just googled DCG306 and it looks like one. The secondary barrel was cast closed at manufacture, and it doesn't have jets on that side.
I found plenty of jet sizes for the A series with the 2 barrel version of this carb when I googled it.
Just trying to sort out a problem that someone else has already played with. It was running really rich and fouling spark plugs quickly, but I found the power valve was always on, because the vacuum pipe to the top of the carb (this is something else different with this one)wasn't hooked up correctly. I sorted that but now find it is too lean, so wanting to check that the jets are the right ones first, as I suspect they may have been changed prior by someone trying to lean it down.
Thanks morrisman for giving me that model number. Helped with the google.
If anyone else can help with the listed jets sizes, or point me to a manual site (preferably free) that would be appreciated.

morrisman1, Jun 10, 11:50am
What size jets is in your one currently!

I have one of these in the morry minor ute and it was an absolute **** of a thing to get running right until I put a carby kit in. Cost about $110 from Appco. After that it was easy.

Pull out the jet, it should be somewhere between 98 and 104 if its anything like the cars. If it is inside that range then Id start with a stripdown and clean, then failing that a new carb kit.

The idle mixture screw may also need adjusting but that wont affect mixture once you are up and running.

morrisman1, Jun 10, 11:53am
For some random information, the J15 engine is what people are talking about when they say datsun copied the brits. It is a copy of the BMC 'B' series engine that was fitted to the likes of the MG B, and various other mid sized BMC vehicles

pdc1, Jun 10, 12:12pm
Thanks morris man, I heard that they were similar to the BMC. I toyed with the idea of putting a BMC intake manifold on it with a SU, but then found I didn't have contacts here to locate one.
This motor has a vacuum governor on it, and the intake manifold is swept down so the carb doesn't sit too high. I've had the carb to bits a couple of times, and there doesn't seem anything that isn't right, so that is why I'm thinking jet size.
Interesting to note the ones that I found on google had a pointed needle valve on the outlet of the accelerator pump. Mine has a ball bearing and just a short rod sitting above, I guess acting as a weight for the ball. The accelerator pump appears to be working ok, but maybe it should be better! which would help hesitation problems.
Jet size that is in it is 97, however no surprises the forklift come with some spare carbie parts including spare jets, and one of the others is 120, and I think there are some larger ones as well.
Will be trying the 120 first to see what happens, but that seems a big step.

morrisman1, Jun 10, 12:28pm
You could try it but I dont think that's the solution unless it is running the larger Venturi instead of the smaller one. If the accelerator pump isn't 100% it could just be a dry cup washer. A bit of oil soaked into the leather cup washer may help.

Are there any other running problems apart from hesitation!