5-8hp 2 stroke outboards

heywillhay1, Jul 13, 1:57am
Trying to suss an outboard for the inflatable and keep getting conflicted news about brands so thought Id ask here.

I'm after a 5 or 8hp 2 stroke shaft shaft outboard made within the last 10 years. Was leaning towards mercury but trying to get an overall picture of what's good and whats not. Apparantly Mercury outboards are made by tohatsu in Japan!

bwg11, Jul 13, 5:12am
Quite a difference betweeen 5's and 8's. In two-stokes. 5's will generally be about 100cc singles and 8's will be twins around 160cc. The 8's will be 6 - 10 kg heavier too. An 8 will plane a light inflatable with one person on board, whereas a 5 will struggle. Twins are smoother and generally quieter. You also have the 2-stroke, 4-stroke choice (in that power range I would go 2-stroke every time. Brandwise I personally would go for Yamaha, there is not enough price difference to tempt me to go Chinese - Sail, Parsun & Hide.

budgel, Jul 13, 6:59am
I had an 8hp Yamaha longshaft for getting my trimaran on and off the mooring for years. A new impeller every season and frequent freshwater rinses kept it going. The tri is long gone but I still have that Yamaha.

2stroke was good because it was light enough to lift on and off the boat without too much strain.

mm12345, Jul 13, 9:21am
I think I agree with the 5 vs 8hp comments in general, though I use a 5hp (Yamaha 2 stroke) on a 3m inflatable with inflatable keel, and that has no problem getting on the plane with one adult (80kg or so), and a small child.
An 8 (or preferably 10) would be better of course, but there's a problem. We use the dinghy as a tender, so I need to tow it, which means lifting the motor off, putting on a bracket on the pushpit.If it's flat water, I can do it myself, swinging it up and holding it with one hand while standing on the stern scoop, and climb on board with it.If there's a bit of a chop, then for safety, I'll get a hand.With an 8, I can't hold them in one hand for long.It makes a big difference.Also, ifl need to drag the dinghy and motor any distance, it's dead easy to pull the motor off, drop the dinghy dolly wheels, and pull the dinghy a long distance, walk back to pick up the motor and carry it.8's might be 10kg heavier, at a guess, but it's a critical 10kg in many cases.
I wish one of the makers would churn out a more highly tuned motor the size of a 5, but with 50% more power.I'd be happy to sacrifice torque, economy, and engine life for the sake of getting something as light as a 5, but with more gruntto get a dinghy up on the plane with two adults.

heywillhay1, Jul 13, 11:35pm
Thanks for your comments guys.

Yeah I've used a Yamaha 5hp 2 stroke before behind my inflatable and it was good but as said did struggle initially to get on the plane with a boat full of gear.
Will be using it quite regularly, probably once every couple of weeks. My price range would be around 1200-1600. Have been looking at early 00's Mercury 8hp outboards. Not too concerned with the weight as I should be able to lug it around okay.

slarty45, Jul 13, 11:45pm
I had a Yamaha 5 as yacht tender motor and traded it on a Yamaha 8 for extra grunt when loaded up with 20 litre water & diesel containers.
Both were good reliable motors but the 2 cyl 8 was much smoother and would buy again.
Keeping with the main brands would be better for parts & resale.

budgel, Jul 14, 6:42am
I have a going powerhead for one of these,any idea how muchI should ask for it!

ralphdog1, Jul 14, 10:03am
Not really.
I paid about $750ish for a 1998 DT8 about 4 years ago, it was in really tidy nick if that helps.
How come only the powerhead!