Genuine vs aftermarket

kaspas, Jul 13, 8:02pm
95 nissan mistral td27 going to replace thermostat have been told use only genuine for these, due to issues like aftermarket 1s not opening enough when towing/aparently cheaper to run/ less smoke etc/has any1 else had experience with these!

kazbanz, Jul 13, 8:55pm
Think about it this way --thermostatafter market $25 Genuine $65 -is it worth the risk!

hornnett, Jul 13, 9:41pm
So you fit genuine parts to all the yard cars then!

modie61, Jul 13, 11:21pm
We use 99 percent genuine parts at work.

budgel, Jul 13, 11:24pm
The cooling system is a vital system on a car, is it worth the risk!

kaspas, Jul 14, 2:04am
genuine it is then

elect70, Jul 14, 3:29am
fFunny thing though the after market 1 could be the samemanufacturer as genuine part.Mostcar makers out scource theirservice parts& put higher mark up on.

mm12345, Jul 14, 3:46am
Yep.
Brake shoes for the service brake for my Nissan Patrol+$150 from Nissan.About $30 from Super Cheap Auto.Made in Japan, identical, with same makers serial number and stamp as the originals.The same shoes are used on some Isuzu light trucks - I wonder what the Isuzu price (via GM dealer!) would be.

The TD27 thermostat is probably made by Denso or similar.You could tell in about 20 seconds with a thermometer, a jug, and a quick look-over whether there's any basis to the non OEM hysteria.

Nissan retail parts prices are a joke.

spottie, Jul 14, 7:30am
I just put a bigger radiator in my Teranno and was told by the Radiator firm to only put genuine thermostats in, they had to many premature failures to bother with the cheap Chinese parts out there.
Same with the idler arm, the chinese part that I was assured was as good as anything else lasted 11k, put a Japanese 555 branded one in and have had no problems.

supernova2, Jul 14, 9:26am
http://cpcauto.com.au/thermostats.aspx!PartNo=CPCS17-180

I've used CPC stuff in the past without problems.Just need to make sure you get the correct one by checking the listing and then comparing with what you have taken out.Problem being that what you take out might not be correct either.Also if you can still get them ACDelco.GM I assume wouldnt be marketing total rubbish (waits for the comments!).

kaymay88, Jul 14, 10:05am
the same is true of almost all manufacturers

icemans1, Jul 14, 10:59am
why pay an extra $30 or more for a genuine part box!