Very small benefit from High NZ dollar against US

dbolton, Aug 4, 1:59am
OK We can get cheaper exchange rate for holidays, cheaper electronics including TVs and perhaps furniture. When it comes to car spares from local sources No. Case in point I decided to replace my platinum NGK spark plugs on the car. I went to Auto-one and Repco. Repcowas $43 and I was offered adiscount at the other and was $38 , still pretty expensive .I went and looked on Ebay UK. which is where I often do go for parts. I got the set of 4 for $22.50 plus postage all in all $50.04. Should be here in a week or 10days. Other items that have been publicised in the press recently a new All black top. NZ over 200 yet in the US 108 nz. Apple Ipads in Oz are reported to be 40% cheaper than here taking into account there exchange rate. Ok this is a rant but we seem to be getting hit in all directions of late. No wonder people are shopping on line more now

thunderbolt, Aug 4, 2:28am
So the Japanese plugs are no cheaper despite the fact the NZ dollar is high against the US!
How can that possibly be!

wrxnz1, Aug 4, 2:31am
i didnt think that was a bad price for platinum plugs

kazbanz, Aug 4, 2:33am
yea but isn't it funny how fast they snap the price UP

thunderbolt, Aug 4, 2:38am
To put NZ parts prices into some prospective, consider this.

In Australia you can service a market with 20 million people with about 250 different water pumps.
To service the NZ car parc with 4.3 million people, you need 650 plus different water pumps.
So much more inventory, much less stock turn.

Who do you think pays to have all that stock sitting there!
The consumer does of course. Thats why we pay more.

Consider that whenever you compare pricing to larger markets.

franc123, Aug 4, 5:58am
While I understand totally whats being said here re the discrepancies between local and online overseas pricing, in this case a $38 set of plugs already here that was available off the shelf for instant purchase was turned down for a $50 set (their real cost) from overseas with a week wait!Am I missing something!

1fordluva, Aug 4, 6:29am
Its funny you say that,we are in oz,tie rod ends through super cheap here are 125-200 depending on which branch you go too.
Ebay oz $20.and better quality!
The amount of gear bought from the states here is amazing,the dollar is strong and getting stronger by the day.

dbolton, Aug 4, 7:08am
franc123 wrote:
While I understand totally whats being said here re the discrepancies between local and online overseas pricing, in this case a $38 set of plugs already here that was available off the shelf for instant purchase was turned down for a $50 set (their real cost) from overseas with a week wait!Am I missing something![/quote

That price of $38is for one plugnot a set, the ones I ordered from EBay were full set of 4. The retailer had to order them in and were not in stock and Yes! you are missing something money is tight for many of us and paying 3 times what we need to is unnecessary. I don't mind waiting a week.

toot5, Aug 4, 8:30am
depends on what you are buying i just got a wide glide front end and a fat tire rear end for a harley, even after grab snatch and take by customs still round 1600 cheaper

franc123, Aug 4, 9:08am
Apologies, yes of course, didn't notice the "platinum" bit!Now the local price becomes more understandable, $40 odd would be the individual price here for sure.Well done on getting a much cheaper source overseas.

franc123, Aug 4, 9:13am
exactly, kiwi retailers aren't renowned for passing on genuine savings, they are more into charging top $ for things and then trying to con people with occasional slash and burn sales into thinking they are getting bargains, when only comparatively speaking they are.

2get1, Aug 6, 9:13am
yeah you do, you live here use the internet and your credit card to buy stuff much cheaper over seas, easy. If the Nz shops / importers werent trying to rip everyone so much, maybe people would buy more stuff locally.

thunderbolt, Aug 6, 9:28am
So you don't support local suppliers, which means less stock turns for them.
Then one day you need something that you can't wait for and then you bitch it costs to much.
You are part of the problem.

2get1, Aug 6, 9:35am
nope I check local first if their prices are to high and I mean way to high I shop off shore, sod them, Recent example oil filter for Dodge Nitro, from the dealer $100 purchased direct from Ebay dealer in UK landed here $35 so sod the Nz stealership. Fuel Filter was just as bad Nz $175 from the stealership got one from same guy in UK landed here was $50 so afraid I dont owe the local dealership any loyalty at all considering theyre importing the bloody things anyway and theyre not produced locally.

trader_84, Aug 6, 9:35am
+1 . I've always thought that basically its a kiwi rorting other kiwi's and hoping they don't feature on Campbell or 60 minutes or something.

vtecnet, Aug 6, 10:16am
Recently I needed some parts for my VW VR6, being an electric water pump, thermostat housing plastic parts and the plastic crack pipe, locally I was quoted $900 + gst. but I landed these items for $300 including freight from autohausaz which were the same OE parts I was offered locally

trader_84, Sep 15, 8:01am
And when these people are brought to task and asked the question - why, in public like with the new All Black jersey tonight . all sorts of excuses and reasons are offered . but in the cold light of day - bullshit. if Joe Blogs can source it then they can too . and most likely for a lot less. Rorting pricks and they know it.