Parking

billyfisho, Jul 12, 7:28am
If you park your car at a pay&display parking lot and stay in the drivers seat, do you need to pay!I'm thinking of having lunch in the car while parked at beaumont street next to the the boats but am worried of getting ticketed.

aragorn2003, Jul 12, 7:29am
I always thought that no they couldn't but I could be wrong.

msigg, Jul 12, 8:48am
Well if they see you and time you then they say move on or you will get a ticket, so up to you then. You do have a small amount of time to get some change(maybe 5mins! or more, research).

dr.doolittle, Jul 12, 8:57am
I've parked by the ramp many times & found that if you're friendly & polite it's never been a problem. Remind them that you'll be taking your rubbish with you (amazing how many people just dump their food wrappings, I know you wont)) & dont forget to thank them.

m16d, Jul 12, 9:09am
If the motor is running,its in gear and your foot on the clutch you dont have to pay.
But why not just pay the 20cents and have your lunch in peace.

legaxy, Jul 12, 9:16am
I parked on Princes street whilst waiting for someone at the university, a parking warden came and knocked on the window and said if I wanted to stay I needed to pay for a ticket.There wasn't exactly a shortage of parks around either.I declined his invitation by winding up the window in his face; I respect that they have a job to do, and I wouldn't want that job ever, but that's absurd.The stupid thing is, if the parking officer wanted to, they could ticket you for no reason and it'd be up to you to dispute it in writing, then it'd be your word vs theirs.

Anyway, you should be fine ;)

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 12, 10:22am
You have 5 minutes grace. After that you have to pay if you stop, stand or park there.

tigra, Jul 12, 8:43pm
The Grace I know takes longer than 5 minutes - its all in the foreplay.

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 8:52pm
I have driven away while the parking idiot was writing out their ticket.
They were livid. As far as I know there is no law that says I have to sit there and wait for it. I expected it to arrive in the mail but it never did.
I have also rubbed off chalk mark they put on your tyre as soon as they are gone. That has worked in the past. You could always pull out of one car park and move in to the next one.
Just a couple of options for you. :-)

friendly_prawn, Jul 12, 8:53pm
it would depend oh which town wouldnt it!
I know Gissy has 15 minutes grace.

omega12, Jul 12, 9:01pm
Of course you have to pay. In effect you are renting the parking space for a prescribed period of time (depending on how much you put in the meter). Regardless of you being in or out of the car your car is in the parking space and you intend on spending lunch time there. You have to pay.