AARGH! HELP!

bjdw, Jul 7, 12:02am
Just went to tighten up the sump plug after draining the oil out of the Falcon and. it just fell out.It's had a recoil fitted in the past which has now broken and the plug won't go back in.

The car is blocking the other cars in the driveway.Can I run it for 30 seconds without oil to move it or is it instant death to touch the key!

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

trader_84, Jul 7, 12:03am
Push it!

bjdw, Jul 7, 12:04am
It needs to go uphill a bit and it's only me and the missus here.

bjdw, Jul 7, 12:07am
Will a wine cork hold in there for half a minute!

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 7, 12:07am
You wouldn't want to run it with any load without oil pressure.

trader_84, Jul 7, 12:08am
Mate, starting it runs the risk of running it dry. Push it down hill and out onto the road then! Then use your other car to push it up later on! Ask the neighbours for a hand! A little bit of inconvenience now may save heaps of $$ and agro later on.

purple666, Jul 7, 12:10am
Wine cork would do the trick, don't push it in too far and take care not to break any bits of cork off inside sump.
That is just to move it!

trader_84, Jul 7, 12:11am
Yeah probably . but make provision by securing it to the engine by tying wire or something to make sure it does not pop out. There is hardly any pressure in the sump unless the car is a pig and experiences a lot of blow by. In which case . why worry!

bjdw, Jul 7, 12:13am
I was thinking of a plastic one

bjdw, Jul 7, 12:17am
Ah, crap. I can't find one.So much for giving up alcoholism!

Okay, I'm gonna wrap a bunch of thread tape around the bolt and jam that in there.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 7, 12:23am
Cork is a material, not a type of plug.

A plastic plug almost certainly won't work as they are ribbed and parallel.

A tapered rubber bung would be best. Or just a cotton rag stuffed just in the hole with duct tape used to seal if off against the sump.

bjdw, Jul 7, 1:09am
Well, I forced a to big bolt into the hole which must have partially cut it's own thread, then I put some thread tape on it and put it back in.Didn't lose a drop. But that was moving it at barely above idle.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the rest of the recoil out so I can make a new thread for a new bolt (maybe) the sump looks like a bastard to get off.

bjdw, Jul 7, 1:10am
Why would they have put a recoil in there instead of just putting a bigger bolt in the new thread!

unbeatabull, Jul 7, 3:13am
Most sumps have will helicoil rather then redrill because the actual metal around the bung is thicker and often a different material to the rest of the sump so it doesn't warp/leak etc. Drilling it out sometimes will take that away and cause it to leak again over time.

In saying that, I have redrilled BA Sumps (I assume thats what it is from your photo in another thread) a size up successfully before. Just be sure to clean all the bits of filings etc out of the sump after tapping/drilling.

elect70, Jul 7, 3:20am
I had same happen on minii just used bit of broom handle& whittled itdown toscrew fit, even drove it toparts store.

m16d, Jul 7, 3:38am
JB weld the old plug back in. problem fixed.

bjdw, Jul 7, 4:42am
Pretty close, AU.

bjdw, Jul 7, 4:43am
Is JB Weld like Knead-It!