Argon/ co2/ argosheild

cazspa, Jul 6, 9:48am
just a question about the bottles can they be retested! and if so can a co2 bottle be tested as an argon or argosheild bottle !
can't find alot in google for this info apart from colour coding bottles

cheers Shane

h.e, Jul 6, 10:35am
co2has a male thread where as argoshield argon etc have a female thread.argon is a pure gas used mainly for tig welding,you really dont want contaminated gas when tig welding so no.argoshield is a mixture of argon oxy and other gasses depending on what type of argoshield ,so in theory you could use other bottles for agroshield weather they would do it !i doubt it

pollymay, Jul 6, 10:39am
You can I think, the bottle is meant to be painted the appropriate colour and have the right valve but you can as I understand. I just went from argoshield to CO2 on the MIG welder. Cheap as chips to fill now. I just keep a regulator for each tucked away for if I want to switch back.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 6, 10:43am
Don't take this as gospel but I think at least some bottles can be used for both when taken to supagas. However the snippet I heard in passing made me think these bottles may have been intended for both when manufactured and it had something to do with the stamp on them.

Sorry its a vague answer, if you ring supagas I am sure they will be keen to help.

Incidentally. I bought a good sized freshly tested bottle from supagas really cheap (something like $399 from memory). The bigger size means I get argoshield at the bulk rate so basically the same price for twice as much. It may be the way to go, given you are expecting to stump up for the cost of a test anyway.

EDIT, snap to pollymay that info sounds more accurate than mine. Although in the big bottle the real deal argoshield is a pretty good price. Depends on what and how much you do though. I like argoshield (panel mix) for the light panel work that I do a lot of.

pollymay, Jul 6, 10:51am
I've been dealing with bottles and supagas for the past 2 months. BOC can stick it where the sun don't shine after trying to do anything through them. Managed to get one of their old bottles and supagas wouldn't fill it, borrowed a powersocket and took a grinder out of the truck and erased the BOC stampings. Rattlecan some black on and we were good to go. Manager just said "he didn't just see that"

We do heavy heavy stuff mostly. CO2 is better for penetration. I'm trying to get a small bottle for pure Argon then set up a TIG for smaller stuff. The problem with the argoshield was it was a BOC rental and the rent for small at home stuff was loony. It was then the great bottle search of 2012 began, at that point you might as well go for what works for your application

cazspa, Jul 6, 7:37pm
thanks for the help guys I am using it for mig welding
I have a co2 bottle but out of test
Ill ring supagas Monday as thejazz said might be easier to buy new bottle
thanks

trader_84, Jul 6, 10:15pm
I own both types G sized TIG and G sized MIG. They look the same. The color blue is the same. The LAB No's are the same. They were even made on the same date. I brought these over the last month. I got sick to death of the BOC rental price i have/had been paying these last decades. There is no looking back. The difference between them both is the Argoshield bottle has a silver band painted around the top where as the TIG one does not. I checked the gauges and its true what I heard from someone once . BOC are a bunch of B's but - they put more juice into their rental bottles than Supagas does. BOC's Argosheild used to come in at 20,000Kpa in G size. This new bottle arrived here with 19,700Kpa. (Kpa, PSI or whatever I was looking at) but yeah . Last thing - there is a certain amount of satisfaction when you walk into you shed and see a couple of big blue things that you own and are costing you nothing as opposed to an incidious little cost that mounts up over time.