Bridgestone Re002 harsh Ride

jkm, Jul 3, 7:42pm
Put Bridgestone RE002 tyres on my VT Commodore but I am finding the ride kind of harsh, feel all the bumps and road repairs. Tried dropping the pressure from 38 to 33 to see if it helped but didnt make any difference, Tyres are 235/40/18 and the car is a V8 so fairly heavy.
I was thinking of changing to 225/45/18 and a different brand, maybe Hankook to try and get a smoother ride. I know the 225/45 are approx 3% bigger but I can live with that. What do you reckon!

thunderbolt, Jul 3, 8:17pm
Did you fit the tyres to existing wheels, or change both at once!
You may notice a slight improvement with the 45's, but not that much.

esprit, Jul 4, 12:38am
What tyres were you on before!

You've got 40-series tyres, the tyres are never gonna be that great.

I'm running RE002s in 195/55/15 on my GTi6 and they ride better than the Pirellis I used to have on there.

johnf_456, Jul 4, 1:27am
I am running them on my partners car and my own personal work hack. Compared to the MY01 they are much better tyre I have found. The MY01 are very noisy, even driving through a supermarket carpark sounded worse than a wheel bearing rumble. Going to a taller profile will help but not much, did you replace the existing ones with the same size. What is the factory size for your holden, some have 16, 17, 18

The re002 is a very good tyre for all round performance.

mark.52, Jul 4, 2:42am
I'm using the same sort of tyre, in the recommended size for my car, and they're fine.

What are the standard tyre sizes for your car! Including the profile!

nzdoug, Jul 4, 3:00am
Low profile tires ride rough.

jkm, Jul 4, 4:46am
Cheers for the replies. Standard profile is 235/45/17. The car actually had Roadstone 235/35/19 when I bought it, they didnt seem too bad but the low profile didnt like NZ road pot holes! I know the RE002 are a good performance tyre just seem a little harsh. Maybe that is the trade off or maybe its just me. Also had a camber kit fitted at the same time and that could be a factor, eg more road bumps through the nolathane bushes.
The tyres are great on smooth roads, low noise and smooth but hit any road "repairs" or resurfacing and you feel all the bumps and lumps.

bigsteve10, Jul 4, 5:15am
I used to work for beaurepaires in Australia. 90% of cars that came in complaining of harsh ride had an easy fix. If I was you I would try increasing the width of the tyre to a 245 wide profile. Also as a matter of interest, you say you had a camber kit, I would try and get that taken out. Many of my work mates maintained that camber kits on VT commodores made inner edge wear increase rather than decrease. 33 PSI on a vehicle sounds quite low also, try running 36. It's what I put in any vehicle of that size. I run my whole family's fleet on 36.

johnf_456, Jul 4, 5:57am
I agree with post eight, is your car lowered op! Try keep it as factory as possible, camber kits, springs, lower profile tyres can make one car have a horrible ride with the right affect.

unbeatabull, Jul 4, 6:03am
Nolathane bushes are harsher running.

Other then that, its what you really expect with a tyre of that profile and rim size.