Changing coolant

priscilla13, Jul 1, 4:53am
I took top and bottom radiator hose off.Suprized how little came out.Flushed out radiator with hose.New antifreeze in but could only fit about 3-4 liters in before radiator full.Supposed to be 12 liters coolant.Any ideas!

andrea_w, Jul 1, 4:57am
You forgot about all the coolant that's still sitting in the engine. that has to come out too.
Also, what type of car are we talking about!

priscilla13, Jul 1, 5:03am
v6 commodore I knew there would be coolant in motor but not that much.Motor was cold which prob didn't help (thermostat closed.)

carlz05, Jul 1, 5:09am
Do it cold, if you drain a warm engine you can crack the heads, or warp them.The engine overheats with no water in it.Its a tricky one as whats happened with the thermostat closed the water has stayed in the engine block.It only dribbles out, so you need to wait ages.Anyway, rule of thumb, never do it hot.

priscilla13, Jul 1, 7:53pm
I uumed and aahed about that but found a modern antifreeze that said it exceeded all GM specs and said it was suitable for all modern cars.since mine is 10 yrs old decided anti freeze alone was good enough. Problem is now I have a mix of old (goldy colour) and new (green) antifreeze.Thanks

budgel, Jul 1, 9:09pm
Those colours should be OK for an Aussie car!

priscilla13, Jul 2, 2:01am
budgel wrote:
Those colours should be OK for an Aussie car![/quote
thats a relief.I'd be concerned it the water was totally black

paulap, Jul 2, 2:18am
I was told you don't mix coolants. Stick with the same that is in there. Unless your gold one was ancient green coolant watered down lol