Dang it, I'm putting 20W50 in it.

bjdw, Jun 30, 1:20am
I got someone elses 99 AU falcon 4.0 for a few months while they're in oz.

The oil looks like it's never been changed.It says 5W30 on the filler cap but I'm just gonna put cheap sh!t in it.It's done 300,000.

Am I gonna kill it!

cuda.340, Jun 30, 1:23am
no. fresh oil is better than old oil regardless of the rating. just don't thrash it

unbeatabull, Jun 30, 1:25am
They've most likely put an oil cap off a newer Falcon on it. They should be on 10w30 or 10w40.

bjdw, Jun 30, 1:26am
I certainly won't be thrashing it, you can just about see the gas needle moving when you put your foot on the floor!

I put a thermostat in it today, the old one was stuck open, so hopefully that will slow the gas down a bit.

bjdw, Jun 30, 1:28am
I thought it was a bit odd. I looked in a oil book and it said 10w40 so you're probably right.

vtecintegra, Jun 30, 1:30am
Honestly I'd just stop driving it - a neglected high mileage car like that could fail at any point in time and no doubt you'll get all the blame.

bjdw, Jun 30, 1:33am
I'm relying on the old adage, "Those old Falcons are bullet proof".

bjdw, Jun 30, 1:35am
I got a fuel filter for it. Just need to find it now so I can change it tomorrow.No doubr I'll be back in here asking for help.

cuda.340, Jun 30, 1:40am
i think they were referring to the ones from the '60's when that statement came out.

bjdw, Jun 30, 1:43am
Woo Hoo! According to that I should have no guilt! Yee Ha!

rover79, Jun 30, 2:05am
Going buy what you have already said on here,,,,,,,,,, probably the best thing you can do for it is shout it a new air cleaner.

unbeatabull, Jun 30, 2:11am
Depending if it is a IRS or beam axle rear end, fuel filter will either be on the inside of the L/S Sill or further up by the tank on the L/S. Both are only accessible from underneath. If you don't have a crows foot to crack them off I'd be hesitant to using a spanner to crack them off, they are usually ridiculously tight and often pull the thread on the fittings. Fuel filter won't really be affecting mileage on these, they usually only get gutless or a miss under accel when it gets blocked.

Should be getting around 500ks out of a tank in one of them :)

bjdw, Jun 30, 2:14am
Done that today too.It was pretty grubby.

bjdw, Jun 30, 2:16am
Cheers.I'll bung some penetrant on it and if it don't come off reasonably easy I'll just leave it.

kazbanz, Jun 30, 2:18am
Um guys --having a fuzzy memory day--isn't the 99 falcoon a VVT engine--isn't that why they say thinner oil!

unbeatabull, Jun 30, 2:23am
Yup, thats why it needs 10w30 or 10w40 as per my earlier post :)