Is is better to scrap or sell?

emmac1, Jun 29, 4:44am
I have a 1989 toyota corolla. It has a WOF until Sep but the rear wheel on the passenger side won't rotate. Mechanic says emergency brake jammed and would cost about $300 to fix. The battery has also died (probably from sitting around-might go with a jump start) and the rear 1/4 window needs replacing. It has done 181752km. Has tiny bit of rust in one of the door but is in reasonable tidy condition. Given all that is wrong with it do you think people likely to bother bidding! How much roughly would I get for scrap metal! Where is the best place to go for scrap metal in Hamilton! They would need to be able to pick it up. Thanks.

phillip.weston, Jun 29, 4:47am
scrap will be $200-300 at best. I reckon you could sell it for $500+

kcf, Jun 29, 4:48am
people absolutely love Corolla's.

If you advertise it for$600 - $800 somebody will take it off your hands.Vastly more than you'd get scrapping it.

emmac1, Jun 29, 4:51am
Thanks! I was on the fence about the whole thing so just needed some other people's opinions. I will try selling it.

curlcrown, Jun 29, 5:25am
It's a corolla so even though it's old it still has some value. I would say you could get $1500 for it with a W.O.F. If it just needs the barke issue done for the W.O.F and nothing else get it done. Get a second hand battery for $40 or $50 and a 1/4 window from the wreckers. Not a lot of effeort if that's all it needs.

un_known, Jun 29, 5:32am
$300 for a stuck brake.your getting ripped man.
ill do it for a crate of beer.

kazbanz, Jun 29, 5:35am
jack the car up on that corner. Place chocks by the front wheels-take the wheel thats seizedoff. Smack the drum all around with a mallet.put the park brake off. Hitthe drum again all around with the mallet.refit the wheel.try to spin the wheel.put it back on its wheels and jump start it.
the car should now roll.
Now you can take pictures and adbvertise it for sale Because it is a complete car

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 6:58am
If putting it on here go for an auction not a fixed price. Its easy to underestimate what the brainwashed masses will pay for old junk Corolla's.

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 9:07pm
What else could you buy for several hundred dollars! I'd pay up to $1000 for it, if the body was tidy, drive it for a year, and sell it again for at least $1000.

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 9:11pm
There's quite a few old "junk" Toyotas on our roads, and yet, I don't see many old galvanized bodied Fiats and VWs around.

curlcrown, Jun 29, 9:21pm
I have here a 2000 corolla done 587000km That I have driven several hundred km myself. It requires not mechanicl repairs and went through a W.O.F. first time. There are also 3 volkwagens, all newer all done 450000km to 500000km less than the toyota, 2 NZ new with good service histroy and all the VWs required repars within the couple of hundred km I drove them.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 9:33pm
Open your eyes, I see plenty. We had less VW's and Fiats of that era in the first place, plenty have survived.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 9:37pm
My top spec 99 Marea with 120K on the clock and a set of new tyres was $1200.

I have bought several Panda's in past for around $600 all road legal and ready to go, did about 70'000km in each with just spark plugs, oil changes etc.

Paying $1000 for an ancient Corolla that needs more money and time spent on it is a silly thing to do. but people do it. That's my point.

Your buy for $1000 sell for $1000 theory completely ignores what you need to spend on it, and you are still going to be sentenced to driving around in an ancient piece of uninspiring vehicle with no safety or comfort features.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 9:38pm
This Corolla requires mechanical repairs before it even gets on the road.

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 9:57pm
What, a $25 window, $60 battery, a bit of grease and an hour labour!

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 10:01pm
I said I would pay UP to $1000 and sell a year later for AT LEAST $1000.

mugenb20b, Jun 29, 10:03pm
LMAO! It's just a cheap run around car, it doesn't have to be inspiring and being a 1989 vehicle, its safety and comfort features are no worse than other 1989 cars.