WTH. since when was this a WOF issue?

mrsscubasteve, Jun 27, 7:59am
Steering wheel cannot show metal! Was told to either get a new one or buy a cover (Ive peeled the plastic back where my rings rub over time). but really! How does that effect road reliability/safety!

grangies, Jun 27, 8:02am
Get a chrome steering wheel.

That'll stump em.

mrsscubasteve, Jun 27, 8:05am
I came back home and said to my partner. what does everyone else do who has outright "metal" wheels. We giggled but I thought it was really weird. esp when you can buy off the shelf like that :P

pollymay, Jun 27, 8:06am
You need a chain link steering wheel and some fluffy dice.

grangies, Jun 27, 8:09am
May be due to the type of metal.

As in chromed steel wont rust, either will aluminium.

Just brush a bit of your wife's nail polish on the rub through and take it back.

neo_psy, Jun 27, 8:11am
I thought that was a WOF issue too - dunno if I thought it was a grip issue or what.

We had a car fail on brake pad thickness - funnily enough, I had new pads at home, but hadn't installed them.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 27, 8:17am
One of our Alfa's has a steel spoked wheel with nice sharp edges. It goes really nicely with the lap belts that just have a glorified hook in the end that goes around a D ring bolted to the middle of the car.

No wonder the little VTNZ men start running when they hear it.

saxman99, Jun 27, 9:59pm
I don't know the actual wording of the rule but my Dad struck this one too.It's effectively "Steering wheel cover must not be falling apart or coming unglued or be otherwise damaged etc."His one was stitched leather type and was coming apart and loose; he had to tape it up so the cover was tight again.

kazbanz, Jun 27, 10:07pm
Op-just for the record the quick/cheap answer is to grab a roll of handlebar tape from a bicycle shop and tape the wheel. Unless its somethjing realy special I'd just buy a replacement wheel and fit it

mrfxit, Jun 27, 10:11pm
BUsted covers are not STD OEM
Busted covers can slip or catch rings/ bangles etc causing miss directed steering

mrfxit, Jun 27, 10:12pm
LOL yea, The old aircraft style seat belts

bleetbleet, Jun 27, 10:54pm
steering wheel cover 12 bucks at supercheap.job done

richardmayes, Jun 28, 12:06am
Odd - VTNZ never said anything about the wheel on my PI

http://images.classiccars.co.uk/c/350/250/classifieds/e/4/e42e8331e6cbfbccdc9e3b1414549426.jpg

Lovely sharp edges on the spokes of these, you learn not to twirl the wheel around with your thumb pretty quick.

tigra, Jun 28, 12:28am
Send it to Target.

bashfulbro, Jun 28, 12:30am
Wrap some insulation tape around it.

steve312, Jun 28, 5:37am
Wording in the VIRM under reasons for rejection is; "has a rim covering which is insecure so that the directional control of the vehicle is affected".Conditions state; "The steering system and associated systems and components that directly or indirectly affect the directional control of the vehicle must be a) sound and in good condition, and b) strong, durable and fit for their purpose, taking into account whether adverse effects have resulted from a loss of integrity of any protective system used by a relevant component".

Unfortunately, we as inspectors don't make the rules.Then programs like Target set you up to make sure you do follow the letter of the law to a ridiculous degree.

What choice is left!

supernova2, Jun 28, 6:43am
My Navara just went for wof check and I told them I expected a fail as it had a few obvious problems so could they give it the once over so I could decide if worth fixing or scrap - its done 800K!Got pinged for no door card on passenger door.I thought thatbit odd but checked the VIRM and yep has to be fitted.However the battery is just sitting there held by the cables and then the steering wheel has about 150mm of the cover missing on the top - worn off over time.The bit not worn off is held to the steel rim with cable ties and feels like a cheese grater to use.Not a mention of either, but they did find all the other things I already knew about.Was my local reputable workshop.Just goes to show depends on the person on the day I'm sure.Good news is I've priced up the bits and can get it all legal - including a 2nd hand wheel for about 500hundy so it will live again.

steve98h, Jun 29, 8:10am
you dont have to have a battery clamp. if its there it has to work correctly. butif its not as long as the leads are secure thats now classed as a pass

neo_psy, Jun 29, 8:18am
Holy monkey - that's a worry

steve98h, Jun 29, 8:21am
if the inspector thinks its unsafe they can fail it tho.
during a wof an inspector has the right to fail a car for anything at all if they think its unsafe

supernova2, Jun 29, 9:18am
So that means if the inspector takes a dislike to you or the car (a multipla for example) he can just fail it on any old thing he likes!Can't even find a mention of a battery clamp in the latest VIRM.Is that a good change or a bad one!I think bad.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 9:21am
Just as well they are such a lovable car. I have very rarely been knocked back in 120'000km of hard use and usually no time to look things over myself before it gets checked.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 29, 9:26am
Worth mentioning I have had some funny fails in my time. Once I was failed on a compliance (re-reg) of an MGB because the drip couldn't find the light switch and didn't think to ask. Same guy failed the very much factory seatbelts as being non-factory. and what do you know, they happened to sell seatbelts. While this stupidity was going on they never failed the petrol tank that was dripping all over their workshop floor.

I have had a couple of vehicles that the inspector request I drive/ride for the test.

Got called over at VTNZ to show them the light switch on the Panda so they could test the trailer lights. the panda has all of about 4 buttons on the entire dash all of which are clearly marked!

Another VTNZ one had a go at failing my vespa because they couldn't find the vin number. (which was in the same place it had been since manufacture and many WOF's)

Had a Panda fail because of only one reversing light! (They leave the factory like that very obvious red fog light as part of the tail lamp on one side and the reversing light in the same place on the other side)

Went to a really dodgy garage once, flew through a wof and then got home and realised I had forgotten to weld a patch on the fist sized hole I had cut out of a door pillar!

mrfxit, Jun 29, 10:02am
LOL yea Jazz, heres a good series for ya.

HE who shall not be named inlaw takes his ute to the local garage on a regular basis over many years. (utes odometer .reads over 400 thou)
Over the years, they have missed .

1: Loose deck to chassis bolts
2: Rotted side/tail gate hinges (rope holding sides from flipping open)
3: Busted front shock (NOT attached at 1 end)
4: Split tyre
5: Bald tyre
6: Rust in the "A" pillar
7: Missing wheel stud
8: Front brake pads down to .5mm (JUST enough to stop metal to metal)
9: holes in decking
10: loose AND warped decking
11: substantial rust in decking chassis

A lot of the above faults have been missed for many years running & I haven't seen that ute up close for about 5 years now & I know they stillhave THAT ute & still go to THAT garage for wof's