Header wrap or not?

punkboy, Jun 28, 7:13am
opinions on header/exhaust wrap! have heard can destroy headers real quick,on other hand keep engine bay cooler,any past experience appreciated cheers

jason18, Jun 28, 7:15am
I was always told they make your headers rust to fast.

punkboy, Jun 28, 7:17am
yea,same

morrisman1, Jun 28, 7:21am
HPC (high performance coating) apparently is the goods. I havn't personally tried it but I think a couple on this board have, hope they pop in and say hello

punkboy, Jun 28, 7:24am
would the coating have the same heat insulation as the fibreglass wrap!

extrayda, Jun 28, 7:51am
I wrapped my headers at the bottom where they went quite close to the trans and shifter mechanisms (cable).As long as the exhaust is run for long enough to get properly hot, I don't see why wrapping would make the headers rust!Didn't affect mine from what I could tell.

alltorque350, Jun 28, 8:02am
HPC coating insulates better than wrap but costs a bomb. Wrap can be a pain if it gets oil or water on it, it smokes as it burns off. IMHO header wrap looks the biz.

clark20, Jun 28, 10:00am
I HPC'd my MG headers, and it still looks good, and I used wrap on my Honda when I had stainless headers, as they were close to the engine mounts. Just when you use wrap start 40mm away from the flanges as this is where the most trouble is (cracking etc)

sr2, Jun 28, 10:15am
Sorry but you're wrong on that one; thermal wrap is a much better insulator than HPC, I've used them both on a number of race cars over the years. That said I couldn't agree with you more re oil and coolant on exhaust wrap, what a pain- and you have to keep replacing it all the time! My rule of thumb is when in doubt go for HPC, only use wrap as a last resort if you're struggling with excessive under bonnet temps.

dave653, Jun 28, 10:54pm
I recently made a set of 6 into 1 pipes for the old 179. Rang HPC. $276!
$65 for a roll of header wrap, a few long s/s hose clamps, and all is good. much cooler too, as there is a lot of plumbing in there. An older set of stractors had wrap on them for over ten years, I had them sandblasted, then I painted them 1300 degree white, then wrapped them. The pipes gave up from age. not rust.

fiatracer, Jun 28, 11:27pm
one of the issues with exhaust wrap is that the metal gets very hot and can crystalise and crack. have seen wrapped headers basically destroyed.

punkboy, Jun 29, 7:03am
thanks everyone for the great feedback,my concern was thesteel pipe to my clutch slave cylinder only has about ten mill clearance to the collector of header,thought if i wrapped it may as well do the lot.could just wrap that section or make up a sheet metal heat shield,cheers

quickstitch, Jun 29, 7:11am
get a new pipe made that doesn't travel so close to the headers if possible, and HPC that.

punkboy, Jun 29, 7:18am
yep,already got a new pipe bent as sharp as i could get it from the flare nut

steve98h, Jun 29, 8:01am
ive used heat rap on my race cars and customers car. never really a fan, much prefer hpc. wrap causes to much rust etc. problem is you wash the car and then the wrap sits there with water in it and rusts the pipe