Hilus 2.8 1991 dbl cab certification

Page 1 / 2
tokorangi11, Jun 27, 8:36pm
I brought a hilux six months ago and it has go in for warrent today, garage just rang up and asked if its been certified for the suspension lift. I never asked previous owner about certification because its not exactly high. It has after market shockies im not sure about the leaf shackles or anything else. Its currently on 32s and wouldn't fit 33s unless higher so its very close to standard hight. How can i found out what reeguires getting a new cert and if it has already been done, just after some opinnions on my options thanks.

steve312, Jun 27, 8:44pm
There will be an aluminium cert plate attached to the firewall if the vehicle has been certified.It obviously isn't there or the WOF inspector would have found it.

Sounds to me that the vehicle has had longer spring shackles fitted or lift blocks between the chassis and body, as it normally needs to be pretty obvious for it to be picked up in a WOF check.Most of use don't go around the vehicle with a tape measure unless the modifications are well outside normal.

tokorangi11, Jun 27, 8:54pm
The guy from the garage asked if i had it certified so he didnt seem to know if it was or not. He was fairly sure it would pass a cert but the problem i have is that it isn't that high. The olds have an 2003 double cab and its the same height as theirs and theirs is on 31s. Is it simply up to the discression of the WOF inspector!

mrfxit, Jun 27, 9:05pm
Take it to a 4x4 wrecker & get them to check it.
They will know instantly if it's been lifted.

From memory, you are allowed a 2" body lift & a 2" suspension lift before it has to be certed.

Also, are both vehicles, Hilux or Hilux Surf

tokorangi11, Jun 27, 9:14pm
Both hilux double cabs, the olds one is the 3litre turbo mine is the old 2.8. Both completely factory apart from mine has different shockies and is on 32s.

mrfxit, Jun 27, 9:19pm
4x4 wrecker & get them to write a note on company letterhead paper

mugenb20b, Jun 28, 1:48am
As far as I'm aware, body lift requires cert, suspension lift doesn't, unless there's spacers used at the coil springs (which Hilux utes won't have). My old LN130 Surf had 32s on standard springs, 33s with a lift. So, I can't see why the WoF has to be so fussy.

tokorangi11, Jun 28, 4:49am
Got the truck back before, he rang up some 0800 number to ask about the lift when i wasn't there. Apparently any lift needs a cert no matter what height body or suspension and he wont warrant it because its a liability to him. But he advised me to go to town an get a VTNZ warrant because they will pass it because the truck is fine and no one really knows the rules reguarding lifts. So I may just do that for curiosity and see if they do pass it!

rkauto, Jun 28, 7:27am
would have thought the 32s would need cert anyway
what original tyre size

lordv81, Jun 28, 10:28am
I hope he didnt charge you for the muck around!Sounds like a cow boy if he had to ring around and then say take it somewhere else as nobody knows the rules.Its all on the web.

mrfxit, Jun 28, 8:39pm
LOL, my 88 Surf is about that high with NO MODS apart from 31's

mrfxit, Jun 28, 8:41pm
Factory OEM on mid 80's to late 90's Surf's are 29's /235/70/15 or 16.
A little odd how the 15" & 16" work out to be the same height but thats how it is

trader_84, Jun 28, 9:02pm
No mods and up like the red one! . show.

mrfxit, Jun 28, 9:12pm
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/gen-9-steering-v4a3.pdf

9-1Steering and suspension systems (cont.) Steering
Blocks for leaf springs to adjust
their ride height (up or down)
???the suspension has not been raised by any other means, and
???the blocks are:
??

trader_84, Jun 28, 9:22pm
I bet your your thing is not up high enough to fit a black cat under it while you're are stroking it and you don't look a day over 25, haha! You still got that gray one! I've still got my red piggy. I don't think I'll ever sell it . best damn vehicle I ever owned . use abuse and stick away wet - still up for it the next day.

trader_84, Jun 28, 9:23pm
You just beat me - i remember that pic!

mrfxit, Jun 28, 9:23pm
Covering his butt & fair enough.
Any comeback on him could result in his garage going broke.
The worst vtnz would get is to fire THAT inspector

mrfxit, Jun 28, 9:28pm
LOL, yea still have "her" . . & the wife as well.
Photo taken while down south heading north after running through the Rainbow Valley track to Hanmer Springs track.
it's a good scenic run but not suitable for cars or the likes of the "other dude"that wanted to take a bus through there.

NZTools, Jun 29, 1:22am
That refers to using Blocks ONLY to either raise or lower the suspension. it does not include resetting springs or using longer shackles.

lordv81, Jun 29, 2:06am

mrfxit, Jun 29, 3:34am
Yep but I did mention that.
It's still a good starting point reg.

trader_84, Jun 29, 3:36am
So I take it that if you've swapped a pair of leaf springs into your Lux and found its grown in height . it still dosen't need a cert because the change in height came about using a standard replacement item . and not shackles/blocks and other stuff specifically designed to alter the height. Or did I miss something!

mrfxit, Jun 29, 4:04am
Basically if they "look" OEM & mostly only lift it back to approx std OEM height AND they are correctly fitted .

Look like oem-ish
Fit oem
Perform as oem-ish

No problem

zephyrheaven, Jun 29, 6:13am
lets assume its a beam axle lux, someone might have put longer shackles in it - OK, some are horrid - but some pass, again they could have reset it to factory - has your inspector checked factory ride height! Probably not

Most DC Lux's squat at the front, its normal - so a factory ride height might be close to your current ride

The failed mechanics at VTNZ tried everything to fail my old DC Lux on 35's - even with cert for a 4" lift / wheels they were hounding Toyota NZ for track width's - even tho I had done my homework & bought the correct offset rims ($$$) to ride in the centre of the wheel bearing (as a AVIC I need my own cars just right)

So to reiterate - your inspector doesnt want to wear any issues & the people writing the rules wouldnt know IFS from Live Axle if it crashed into their Prius

tokorangi11, Jun 29, 6:24am
Just an update, took truck to VTNZ today just for curiosity, no problems at all with suspension. Still failed warrant but for stupid VTNZ shit like dust in indicators making them dim. Guy said front left tie rod was warn, so took wheels off and had a look and its a bit loose, i assume i can just buy a new one and fit it. Then back to VTNZ and should be good as gold.