Can anyone ID my lawnmower?

Page 2 / 2
flat_white_ltd, Jun 26, 11:24am
Yup .ugly as sin, aye!
I'm ashamed to say sent one to scrappy myself awhile ago
.the Briggs on those, with the old horizontal output shaft & sprocket . total pain in the backside.& parts just too hard to get.
You're welcome to the internals I have left, if she's being difficult.
(also apologies to Pollymay for thread nicking. but, hey, all in the spirit of motors ! )

pollymay, Jun 26, 11:24am
Turning into the official old lawnmower thread here.

I'll have to have a good look at the thing and have a go at it. The points probably need cleaning and odd jobs like that but I know it used to run before it was parked and it's a pretty simple thing anyway. Have to check the coil and things like that. I'm waiting on a regulator for the welder so I can get that going. Can fix the deck properly without the rivets and decide if I want to paint it up all official, mirror polish the pullcord holder etc

I'm busy fixing an old Ferguson at the moment though. Full clearcoat over some decent modern paint and all. Looking pretty spic to. Then at some point I want to fix the 63 rambler. At this rate I'll be driving old austin minis by next year.

flat_white_ltd, Jun 26, 11:29am
The shroud is aliminium. just polish & buff it up, & throw some clear on it
.did that on one here.looks absolutely majic, seriously old school.
( Mal would boot me up the rrr's for not being a purist, but )

flat_white_ltd, Jun 26, 11:52am
thanks.lol.I actually start that beast up often for Misses F.W. to mow lawns with .self-drive,.& the roller vibrates a bit on full noise .she always has a smile on her dial afterwards. can't say fairer than that !

flat_white_ltd, Jun 26, 12:00pm
So. Pollymay
lol . clear as crystal now !
:-)

pollymay, Jun 26, 12:27pm
Clear as mud. Will have to get some things together and have a go

richard112, Jun 26, 4:19pm
Yes Shay rotogardener. The father in-law had one here. I'm not sure if we still have it under a pile in one of the sheds or if some souless bastard turfed it. Same fuel tank in the handle etc. responsible for several windows, & a legendary story of it getting away from the old guy once & eating his prize marrows or something similar while in hoe mode. Got hold of the vines & just kept them coming. Even had the operators book here at one stage.

nairb47, Jun 26, 8:02pm
I wonder how many other classic machines are lying in sheds or under houses,waiting to be got going oneday,I know as Im a hoarder,something about hearing a old motor going again.

sifty, Jun 26, 8:37pm
that is so cool looking.

nairb47, Jun 26, 9:02pm
There was also a Rotosscythe rotary mower,self drive with a roller,a solid mower with catcher,many owners replaced the lever throttle for twist grip motorbike ones

flat_white_ltd, Jun 26, 9:14pm
!
I take it you didn't read most of posts above, then.!

nairb47, Jun 27, 3:31am
Ivory brothers sold ours and shipped it to the island we lived,had a good parts backup too.
I later saw one with a early victa motor adapted ,worked ok .
sorry i didnt keep up with things,slow computer and operator

flat_white_ltd, Jun 27, 4:15am
lol. all good
yes. victa engines appeared in all sorts of odd places back in the day.

pollymay, Jun 27, 7:27am
Had a small tinker with it today, no spark :(

Carb works ok, can smell the fuel, bowl I cleaned out. If it had spark it might of fired. Points look ok. I didn't have my multimeter to check the coil though so kinda just stopped there. It does look like the cover did used to be yellow though.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Random/001-3.jpg http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Random/008-1.jpg
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Random/009-1.jpg

shadowzz, Jun 27, 7:29am
Bought to you by the designer of the Vincent Lightening motor cycle on which the Britten motor cycle was based. Phil Irving an Australian who wrote the bible of racing engines 'Tuning for speed' and John Britten a Kiwi.

ambo11, Jun 27, 8:21am
Hi ya Polly,

Points may look okay but did you clean the faces with alcohol/petrol etc!
Only reason I ask is the IronHorse 2 stroke motors I tinker with are very fussy with point cleanliness and gap.have had a few points which looked great, but didn't spark, quick wipe of the points faces with petrol has produced a healthy spark. Maybe a dud condensor! My Rotoscythe had a good spark luckily when I got it so haven't needed to look under that cover yet.

Worth trying another HT lead! Referring back to the old 1950's C12 IronHorse motors again, but they had a horrible habit of rusting where the "spike" of the HT lead went into the old coil. These motors were only a few years newer than the Rotoscythe (but had a ball tearing 2HP) and are probably similar in areas.

Keep us informed, would love to see/hear the old girl going!

pollymay, Jun 27, 11:26am
Didn't wipe the points. Like I said I looked around for my multimeter, couldn't find it so stopped doing anything. Plus I had the fergy to keep working on and the honda.

Got the honda to finally crack a skid

.on wet grass.

flat_white_ltd, Jun 27, 10:01pm
no clouds of coloured smoke, then:)!

nairb47, Jun 27, 11:50pm
flat_white_ltd,I like your restored Morrison ride on,I have one the same,but a more used condition,also some of the older masports,people look when Im using them

pollymay, Jun 28, 3:43am
Well the blue smoke from burning the oil off was a nice touch.

flat_white_ltd, Aug 11, 12:52am
Pollymay. did you get it running yet!
.just found another old manual in PDF, if you need schematics!

clark20, Aug 11, 2:49am
Cool thread, mowers look nice with the big wheels

pollymay, Aug 11, 10:24am
Oh I forgot about this thread. No I haven't. I've been restoring something else from absolute top to tail. I've got it running so sweet I can even kick it off with the original hand crank :D. Never hand crank started a motor bigger than a lawnmower so it's a new experience. Used a more modern paint system to, came up really nice, just needs new rear wheels and a steering wheel which are on the way.

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Tractor.jpg

The mower on the other hand has no spark, I'm sending the coil out to be tested, I cleaned the points and set the gap right, nothin. So that was my next step, continuity for the spark wire seemed fine so yeah. If it's dead then my grandfather is a typical old guy with a shed full of bits so I'll see if he has a coil. If he doesn't then I guess a reproduction one or even a used working one, whatever suits really I guess.

Almost everything I'm working on as of late is 30's or 40's or 50's. It's actually nice working on things so purely mechanical, bit of a change from OBDII diagnostics and whatnot on the cars. I've got an old case tractor to rewire and I'm thinking of repainting and putting my mum's old 1974 75cc suzuki back on the road as well. 2500 original kilometres, just sat around for about 30 years. Too much to do, too little time.