The first of many

ghost-roaster, Jun 20, 5:01am
mustbe easy toget aroundit though,as thefirstguyjustswappedcars.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/7138475/First-boy-racer-car-crushing

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 5:11am
Stupid law from a stupid woman.

friendly_prawn, Jun 20, 5:17am
lol well said Jazz

It's hard to believe that people running our country could be so utterly incompetent. One would think if they had enough nouse to become a politician, then they would have some degreeof common sense.
apparently politicians and common sense just dont go hand in hand.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 5:21am
I think a lot of it is a reflection of the stupidity and gullibility of the public at large.

People are just too eager to vote for whoever is offering them the biggest bag of lollies. Very few ever bother to "do their own math" and just fall over themselves to follow the crowd. Then blame someone else when it all goes wrong.

That sort of system keeps good sensible people out of parliament and encourages those who lie and offer silly populist solutions.

This is a world wide issue and is a key reason why the world is in such a financial mess at the moment.

richardmayes, Jun 20, 5:30am
Indeed. If they were REALLY serious about stopping recidivist offending, the driver needs to be in the car when it is crushed.

(In all seriousness though I do fully agree with you on this one Jazz. The law is just the National Party blatantly feeding the fears of their white middle-class base.

Poor people / off-the-rails yoof / brown people / hoodie-wearing people / beneficiaries / drug-addicts / DPB mums are on their way to disturb the peace and steal your tv. We need to stop them, and we need to stop them NOW! We need to "Get tough on crime" etc etc. Vote for us!

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 5:36am
Ironically both Labour and National have failed us on Policing. Labour ruined the Police in the first place, and National have just been too happy to keep the status quo because not enough people have complained and it will cost money to fix.

The annoying thing is I am quite confident we could make a huge impact on crime and vastly improve the quality of our Policing quite easily. It would take some money initially but could potentially be cheaper in the long run and the indirect savings to the country would be huge.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 20, 5:39am
I disagree, crushing is legally messy, unfair and an inefficient means of punishment. Its just another knee jerk populist approach that fails under scrutiny.

sr2, Jun 20, 5:49am
Nothing to to with punishment mate; it works very well in the UK, I can't see why it wouldn't here.

friendly_prawn, Jun 20, 6:03am
Im not so sure I agree with that.
Take the last election. No matter who you voted for you were screwed. Was their one party that would really have made changes in the right direction in all aspects of NZ society and law!
Thats the problem they are all just as bad as each other. Dont matter who the public elects. Once the politicians get in to power things change. They just do what ever the hell they want.

zephyrheaven, Jun 20, 6:08am
Crush what! the endless finance these morons accredit to their parents / whoever is gullible to sign guarantor!
The crushinator should be in one of the cars - the silly woman should know better than to step in & try to run a Gang of guys that should have mobile EFTPOS these days for all the respect we have for them

trogedon, Jun 20, 6:19am
The people are the problem NOT the cars.

vtecnet, Jun 20, 6:19am
The cars stuffed anyway, no big deal that its being crushed heh, just saw it on 3 news, well its got no wheels, brakes, axles, drive shaft, diff, engine, etc,the owner probably got all the money out of the parts before hand.

veetzs, Jun 20, 6:29am
I'm not 100% sure, but do they need to strip a car before being crushed!

Unless this guy has just pulled a fast one.

zephyrheaven, Jun 20, 6:31am
A fast one! The guy didnt look like he knew which way to turn a lid on a bottle of milk for his cornflakes mate

cowboy110, Jun 20, 6:31am
Tens of thousands of dollars of taxpayers money spent and many hours of politicians bitchin amongst themselves to have the "crushing" law passed in 2010 and two years later not one car has been crushed. Seems a bit pointless now really.

moosie_21, Jun 20, 8:39am
Strip it of parts THEN crush it, atleats make some money out of it since will never see any from the offender

nzfatie, Jun 20, 10:56pm
gammelvind wrote:
Yeah I think they do that, as engines, gearboxes and rear axles can't be compacted.

kazbanz, Jun 20, 11:09pm
ACTUALLY heres where it gets interesting. Because of the car crushing law (for want of a better description) There has been another law change.
If someone has existing unpaid and no arrangement to pay fines when they take out a HP on a car the courts now can seize that car and have first dibbs on any money gained from its disposal.
Guess what the finance companies are doing !
Yep now its a requirement that they have access to your history with the justice system. If you have fines they can and likely will refuse to give you credit

tazcsv, Jun 20, 11:47pm
That can only be a good thing.

kaymay88, Jun 21, 8:37am
the first guy who switched parts etc had the second car confiscated by police as well, and they are currently deciding whether or not they can press charges against him because of it - article was in the ODT today.

icemans1, Jun 21, 3:20pm

mongolia1, Jun 21, 4:40pm
The car was delivered to the wrecker complete.It was the wrecker (Macauly Metals) who stripped the wheels, stereo etc to recover what they could from it.

howie69, Jun 21, 7:53pm
Sorry I disagree. I pay my rego, ensure I have a warrant and my cars are all road worthy. I am not a bleeding heart ( unlike you Jazz) and have no sympathy for people who know the penalties of their actions and still do them. I speed and drive hard and if i get caught will face the medicine. I think the English laws have some merit. Go to a supermarket car park and count the unregistered vehicles, we pay for them.