WWYD? Worth keeping?

tahnasha, Aug 7, 8:27am
I have a 2000 Holden Commodore S VSIII black ute, it's done 240kms. (I'm in Oz) got a new rego, it's auto 4 speed, V8.It's in nice condition.I've told my son he can buy it if I decide to sell it, but I don't know whether to keep it or not.It's just sitting in the driveway at the moment, cos we already have two cars.Is it a model that will hold it's value!I don't even know what's it's worth, I told my son $3.5k., although I'm pretty sure it's worth more.WWYD!Keep it, or flick it off!I brought it cheaply to help a friend out that needed the money but now I don't know if I want it.Can you tell I know nothing about cars.I've been told that guys like black utes, LOL and should be easy to sell.

babcorp, Aug 7, 8:31am
Nah bro they ain't worth anything. but just to help you out I got a shiny gold coin I could spare and take the burden off ya hands.

franc123, Aug 7, 8:32am
You must have a specific reason for keeping it! If you haven't got a real reason for having a ute then sell. Yes I would have thought 3.5k was a bit cheap for a V8.

soph001, Aug 7, 8:33am
I'll buy it for $3500! I'll go get the cash out right now!
Your son who is probably a teenager will just kill himself in it.
Sell it for a real price to someone who will appreciate it.

tahnasha, Aug 7, 9:12am
I probably would if you were over here.

Being a female I just can't really justify keeping it, it might have been cheap to buy, it's just not that cheap to keep.I might have to sleep on it some more (not the car, LOL).

msigg, Aug 7, 9:32am
Sell it to your son if he wants it, family comes first.

neo_psy, Aug 7, 9:41am
Can you trust your son in a V8 ute! Considering they're usually loose in the tail.

Can your son afford to insure it!

If "yes" to both questions, then sell it to your son. If "no" or "maybe" to either, then don't sell it to him.

tahnasha, Aug 7, 10:01am
Nope and nope.He's wrecked every car he's ever owned.

jkm, Aug 7, 7:21pm
So the rego is $1100 for 12 months, damn thats expensive, makes our $300 or so cheap!

40wav, Aug 7, 7:28pm
Then 'giving' him this ute is simply criminal. Sell it to someone who will appreciate it, plus you'll get much better $$ for it. Let your son keep writing off pieces of s#it till he grows out of it. (Not judging your son, we all went through that stage, just dont waste a nice ute).

carclan, Aug 7, 7:32pm
I agree, my V8 Fairmont is about $280 a year.

chebry, Aug 7, 8:14pm
Must be in NSW it cost me $740 in 2000 for an EH Holden they charge by weight so utes and station wagons cost more(carrying capacity) theres a good reason wages are higher in OZ lots of things cost more than NZ.

magicmat, Aug 7, 8:33pm
+1. Better to sell it to someone who will appreciate it than to a young guy whom you will be picking up pieces of when the light rear end of the ute sends him flying into something or someone. Not a good choice of vehicle for a young guy who tends to write off cars.

tahnasha, Aug 7, 9:55pm
Yep that's in Queensland, cos it's got a V8.My Commodore V6 cost around $750.00 a year, and we have a van as well which is $750.00 so it's pretty pricey to keep 3 vehicles.No rego's though, you only need a Safety Cert when you sell it, which costs around $80 if there's no work needed.Plus when you sell it, the buyer has to pay 4% (I think could be 3%) of the purchase price in stamp duty.Other than that though, I can't think of anything else that is more expensive than NZ, petrol is on a weekly cycle, so at the top of the cycle (usually Friday and weekend) it's around $1.45 litre, yesterday it was $1.38 litre, and around Wed it will go down to about $1.23 litre, you just have to time your filling up on the low cycle.

tahnasha, Aug 7, 9:56pm
I agree, thanks.He doesn't write them off in accidents, he just runs them to the ground and doesn't maintain them.

trogedon, Aug 7, 9:58pm
Sell it - but not to your son. Imagine the worst case scenario with a young guy(s) with a V8 ute.

jkm, Aug 8, 12:16am
shhhh. dont anyone tell the NZ Government or they will use this to justify putting our rego up to $800 pa.They are always quick to use other countries to justify price increase but never give us any of the discounts.

mopsy3, Aug 8, 1:56am
Oh no tahn, is this the one he slept with in the garage the first night he had it! How could you do that to a guy! LOL.

jkm, Aug 8, 5:39am
tahnasha wrote:
Yes![/quote

So has he been a naughty boy and you are taking his toys off him or has he just gotten bored with it.

tahnasha, Aug 8, 11:07am
Kind of both, LOL.Lets just say, he's seen the error of his ways.Anyway, just get a call from my son's flatmate.Assuming he's going to get it for the same price my son was offered.I would have sold it at the same price if I knew he really wanted it, but I know he's going to take it up to where all the Mines are and sell it for $7k.Cars are double the price up there, they call it the mining tax, in other words, I can rip you off because we're in the middle of nowhere, LOL.I said no, the price has just gone up!I'm one step ahead of him.