Timing? 351

Page 1 / 3
jason18, Aug 8, 5:12am
Me again! Getting car ready to take down to mechanics to do the timing on it. Would the timing be making the car stall when put into gear! Just trying to get it running good enough to drive about 12 k s down the road to mechanics. Have checked hoses and seem to be no leaks. It idles pretty rough it will idle high then suddenly drop down to almost stall then back up again.

ceebee2, Aug 8, 7:30am
If its a dizzy model simply rotate the dizzy at idle till it runs slightly rough then the other way for the same then set in between. Ensure the contact gap (If fitted) is correct. That will make it driveable.

jason18, Aug 8, 8:29am
Electric dizzy. Got it sorta at that point but once put in gear it dies

jason18, Aug 8, 8:30am
Thinking now manual choke been added and nowthe carb needs readjusting to cope with the less air coming into the carb with slight blocking from choke plate when open

sifty, Aug 8, 8:35am
Just screw the idle up for the trip!

cuda.340, Aug 8, 8:44am
your 351 should have a total advance around 35* & at idle with a warm street cam it would probably run around 10-12*. if the timing at idle is too low, it will idle like a pig & possibly stall when moving into drive.
you can do the timing yourself, mark your damper with a dot of white paint at the 35* mark & with the light see if it reaches there when you give it a good rev. if it reaches the 35* mark you just need to verify the idle. don't be surprised if it's in the teens, it's not going to be a problem. my motor idles at 22* & peaks at 36* & it drives great.if you like fast!

jason18, Aug 8, 9:10am
Mint mate. Cheers. I haven't got a light so will get a mechanic to give it a whirl tomorrow . Must invest in one

cuda.340, Aug 8, 10:04am
buying your own light might be cheaper than the mechanic.

jason18, Aug 8, 10:09am
Yeah true that. Would a manual choke plate be enough to change the air/fuel mixture on carb! Considering it had nothing before.

patiki1, Aug 8, 10:17am
You could buy some timing tape for your balancer so you can measure your total and base timing.Still sounds like your carby is out of tune.

jason18, Aug 8, 10:33am
Yeah Oh well will get timing done then focus on carby again if that doesnt fix it. Just got it right and the manual choke seems to have chucked it out of wack.

cuda.340, Aug 8, 6:38pm
the choke will not be the problem unless it's jammed on permanently. who needs a choke anyway!

mopar63, Aug 8, 6:52pm
does a c4 use vaucum modulator!,rough idle and nearly stalls when puting into gear sounds like a vacum problem !

jason18, Aug 9, 1:19am
After a lot of pissing around I had a thought.Backfired a lot so check power valve. It was stuffed. So she runs just have to sort timing

jason18, Aug 9, 6:14am
Went to drive down road, Ran like bag of shit made it about 100metres then turned back. Did a few backfires. Probably stuffed new power valve and now gilmer belt is removing itself and is facked!

cuda.340, Aug 9, 7:01am
FORDs huh! fix or repair daily lol
if it's backfiring a lot you don't think you've either burnt a valve or bent one!

mopar63, Aug 9, 7:14am
maybe you got a lead or two in the wrong place Jason, wonder if the old Val is playing up like this ! lol,you'll get there

patiki1, Aug 9, 7:28am
Maybe too much timing,Carby too lean

snoopy221, Aug 9, 11:45am
Tink ya running a stock standard 351 manual fuel pump on da mota Jase.
FACETelectrickitry pump from rep da co.
Would be moi advice mate.
With an in line fuelfilter fitted.K

jason18, Aug 9, 7:16pm
Will get there one day haha

jason18, Aug 9, 8:15pm
Oh k will look at getting that sorted too man. I think its way advanced ! Now gilmer wants to come off. Awesome

jason18, Aug 10, 12:29am
Took manual choke off that I installe. Suddenly runs way better. Just got to get timing spot on so I can drive it. It idles and revs fine but once I put in gear and try to drive she dont like it

andy61, Aug 10, 12:35am
Does the manual choke have a spring between the cable and butterfly!,my dad always said a manual choke on an auto choke carbwill never work properly otherwise .

jason18, Aug 10, 12:37am
yeah it does have a spring. But still must have upset the carby somehow.

extrayda, Aug 10, 12:39am
- Sounds like timing - any reason to think it has suddenly become advanced if it was running ok before!
- Why do you have a choke, I never bothered on my V8's.I'd wire the flap open at the very least.
- You could try winding in the fast idle screw (big screw next to where the accelerator linkage etc attaches to the base of the carb (NOT the little idle mix screws). That will increase the idle speed and maybe stop it from stalling, although I think thats a symptom rather than the problem.
- Have you double checked the leads are in the right place!
- I'd also whip the plugs out to see if they are sooty/coated in gunk and give them a bit of a clean if need be (assuming they are good, and have been gapped right).If the carb has been running rich it may foul the plugs.
- Does it backfire when you static rev it (not too high), or just when under load (driving)!
- Check inside dizzy cap contacts (esp centre post) for wear / damage.

snoopy, I wouldn't have thought the fuel pump would affect the car at idle / low speed, just when you have your foot in it!