Welding in/on a lathe .

trader_84, Aug 7, 7:47pm
I know you can get/build welding positioner/rotators, but whats the go on mounting the piece in a chuck, selectig back gear and having at it! I read somewhere that it roots your lathe due to arcing occuring in the headstock bearings. Is that true! Is there a way around it! Cheers.

hyphen, Aug 7, 7:48pm
clamp earth lead directly to the job

trader_84, Aug 7, 8:08pm
With a long lead! What are my options there . for attaching to the job without it getting wrapped around the piece when I turn it on.

sifty, Aug 7, 8:40pm
I think the risks outweigh the benefits, I would rig up a roller system/jig and rotate by hand.

hyphen, Aug 7, 8:43pm
have used the magnetic base from a DTI to clamp onto as it has a V-shape and fits round tubes well, just wrap the lead around a couple of times so that it unwinds in the direction of rotation. It is actually easier/safer to leave the lathe in neutral and turn the chuck by hand sometimes to get a good speed.

trader_84, Aug 7, 8:57pm
Yep, cheers. I feel a shed project coming up in the future. Something involving, a cut down diff, a flex plate and matching gear from a starter, a water pump pully with a matching but much smaller custom turned one, a V belt . and all turned by a wiper motor that is run from a variable speed AC switch (or a variable speed drill) but the AC idea is more pro. All mounted on a stand in the welding area. Hmmmm .

sifty, Aug 7, 8:59pm
That sounds AWESOME.

hyphen, Aug 7, 9:10pm
have built a welding rotator using a small hydraulic mtr, gives good low rpm speeds with an adjustable v/v controller, and not so complex

trader_84, Aug 8, 12:43am
What sorta motor are you talking about .as in source out of interest!

hyphen, Aug 8, 1:10am
have built several, the power unit for a smaller one for doing drive shafts and torque converters was a enerpac air operated unit with a Nupro v/v for fine adjustment. Larger ones for doing railway wagon wheels had a 3 hp auxilliary HPU with a Rexroth swash plate type pump, also with a needle v/v for fine adjustment. Was a few years ago when I was in Aussie so am trying to recall the details as best I can. The big unit had the rotating table set up to swing 90 deg so you could set up heavy jobs on the horizontal face-plate and then swing it over for welding down-hand.

carclan, Aug 8, 3:07am
Don't even go there.

marte, Aug 8, 3:29am
I bullt a welding rotator that had the carbon brushs from a 3 phase electric motor in it.
Very very handy, the face had concentric circles on it & was real quick to set up jigs on.

Yeah, I'd clamp the earth to the job.

trader_84, Aug 8, 7:33am
I want to weld widened rims . to a reasonable standard in a repeatable manner.