Why are Evo 4s

hopie, Aug 6, 9:44pm
so cheap compaired to the rest of the EVO Family.

bellky, Aug 6, 9:49pm
Look at the shape of them.

hopie, Aug 6, 9:51pm
must be more than just the shape. OK they do look like an MX Lancer but still.

phillip.weston, Aug 6, 10:03pm
I would happily have a 4 over a 3, but the 2, 5, 6.5, 9 and X are my favourites.

The 4 was the first get get heavier without much of a power increase, though the 4 moved to a better chassis, better engine/gearbox and slightly larger brakes. The 5 made that setup even better with a much wider track and even larger Brembo brakes.

phillip.weston, Aug 6, 10:04pm
getting a 4 would be good bang for buck, they would be one of the cheapest to buy and with bolt-ons cast away from Evo5/6/7/8 owners they would be just as capable.

timmo1, Aug 6, 10:44pm
Are they the ones with the AYC issues!

phillip.weston, Aug 6, 11:37pm
yes. usually prevented by changing the fluid when it's meant to be changed. Can be solved by fitting a later model Evo5/6 rear diff. Same AYC diff is used in the 8G Galant and Legnum VR-4s. My last '96 Legnum VR-4 with over 200,000kms had the AYC 'groan' when you accelerated quickly around corners, but other than the groan the diff functioned exactly as it should have.

mantagsi, Aug 6, 11:42pm
I suspect one of the reasons they are so cheap is so many of them are totally rooted. I'm not that much of a fan to be honest but it has always been a crying shame watching each generation of evo enter the country, filter down to the usual wankers and then end up destroyed, seems more so than most sports cars. A real shame indeed.

bellky, Aug 6, 11:44pm
Whatever^. Evo's are cooler than Subarus.

bellky, Aug 6, 11:49pm
And don't use offensive word(s).

alltorque350, Aug 6, 11:58pm
Didnt evo 4 engines have problems with the crank thrust bearings!

phillip.weston, Aug 7, 12:01am
No more so than any other 93ish onwards 7-bolt 4G63. The issue arises when a much heavier than normal pressure plate is fitted, and/or is poorly serviced and the thrust washers wear out excessively. It helps to not start the car with the clutch pedal pressed to the floor also.

bellky, Aug 7, 12:03am
Good thinking^.

kcf, Aug 7, 12:37am
The Evo 4 was a big change model, and as previously mentioned, the AYC issues.They on average are a bit more of a problem child than the 1-2-3 or the 5-6-6.5.So, they're cheaper because they're considered to be more likely to empty your bank account.

With all cars though, you're going to get good and bad ones.Also considering how old they are, you're in for an ex-boyracer treatment lottery.

Personally I don't mind them at all, so long as they haven't had the wing taken off, massive chromies for the homies fitted, and clear tail lights put in.

phillip.weston, Aug 7, 2:46am
personally I think the Zeros are where it's at :)

usdefault, Aug 7, 5:15am
Thats 18 inch chrome G-Zero's homies.

mantagsi, Aug 7, 5:51am
harden up softy!good grief!also I didnt say anything about subarus

aragorn2003, Aug 7, 5:56am
cmon evo 'zeros' aren't evos

phillip.weston, Aug 7, 7:22am
That's not what the homologation papers say! bear in mind not all E38A/E39As are Evolution models.

bent_ate, Aug 7, 7:42am
Its good, it keeps the sh1theds out of our older generation cars Fords,Chevs,Mopars, etc

timmo1, Aug 7, 7:56am
I think thats more to do with them actually wanting a fast car