Tightening the crank bolt. Best method ?

jason18, Aug 5, 8:06am
How do I hold it from turning! Or should I get a rattle gun on there. any idea on Km needed on this bolt 351 clevo

jason18, Aug 5, 8:12am
Nm I mean not km

quickstitch, Aug 5, 8:35am
pull the inspection plate off the bottom of the auto, and you will be able to poke a big screwdriver thru a hole in the flex plate and jam it up while some one else can tighten up the balancer bolt, or use a rattle gun.

jason18, Aug 5, 8:39am
OK cheers man. What setting do i have on the rattle gun or just max it up. Will be using one from a mechanics

quickstitch, Aug 5, 8:41am
i dont know, i just use a 1/2 powerbar myself. you could put a bit of loctite on for peace of mind

cuda.340, Aug 5, 9:55am
i'm not a keen fan of rattleguns on engine hardwear, it burrs the head n makes for a b'stard of a job getting some hardwear off if it's been locktited.

morrisman1, Aug 5, 10:06am
if manual just get someone to hold the brakes. Use top gear.

if auto, maybe remove starter and use a couple big screwdrivers to jam on the ring gear. one through the starter motor bolt hole and the other against that screwdriver to lock the ring gear.

I havnt worked on a 351 before so dont know if that technique is applicable.

carclan, Aug 5, 10:23am
Age old question unless its a marine engine

strobo, Aug 5, 5:48pm
U might wana use one of the mechanics with the skill&feel for it if ya wana be doing thatwith a rattle gun.Rip .sHIT& bust will get you in trouble unlessdone properly as someone pointed out , lock the crank at the ring gear & torque it up correctly .cheers

trader_84, Aug 5, 6:48pm
I'd guess that most are done up with a rattle gun now days given the amount of cambelts being done. At a place I worked at once, we had to do up a whole lot of bolts on ERF truck frontends. The boss carried out a series of tests on the rattlegun being used in conjunction with a torquewrench. When the correct setting had been established the dial was marked on the gun handle and as part of QC - you had to physically check the dial was in the right position prior to use. If you have a torquewrench available, it would only take you 5mins to determine what your rattle gun does them up to.

jason18, Aug 5, 8:21pm
Oh k thanks guys, I have cranked it up as much as possible Will see if I can get a mobile mechanic around to finish it off.

srrolla76, Aug 6, 12:11am
just use a rattle gun. if it was done up properly last time it was taken off, then a powerbar like some idiots are suggesting, wont do the trick unless ur the hulk. a rattlegun and ull need a big compressor or else it wont work, not a small 2.5hp or anything, get a big one. thast how i just did mine, and many before that.

bellky, Aug 6, 12:24am
Edit: actually found this:

"My manual says 160nM (118 foot pounds)But just crank it down as hard as you can with a breaker bar and lock up the flywheel/flexplate with a screwdriver thru the starter hole to hold it still.You will find that 160nM is almost unattainable without a 3/4" socket set and 3 foot bar"

From here: http://www.xfalcon.com/forums/index.php!/topic/13164-tightening-torque-front-crank-bolt-on-351-clevland/

quickstitch, Aug 6, 12:31am
well i've never lost a balancer, and i've never used loctite So maybe, just maybe, hard to believe i know, but there may be more than one way of doing it up. But then again, i've probably only ever done up about 20 cleveland balancers.

jason18, Aug 6, 3:18am
Cheers quick. I found a bolt on flywheel that i was able to put a socket and bar on. It jammed engine up and swung on my breaker bar till I couldnt move it. I think its done the trick. Will check it after a bit of driving!

jason18, Aug 6, 9:51am
Hey QS, What timing do you run on these engines!

blackdotlova, Aug 6, 10:09am
To lock it up using the ring gear a bent value is what i have used for years able to fit it in there some where most times