30kmh signs- can people not read?

lalbagh, Aug 3, 10:20pm
30kmh temporary restriction on swanson road- three cars in a row pass me at about 50kmh on the flush median, cant they read or is their impatience greater than their respect for the law! Or are the red bordered temporary limit signs and road cones just irrelevant roadside decorations!
Stupid auckland drivers :-((
rant over

rob_man, Aug 3, 11:14pm
Yes, quite often they do appear to be irrelevant decorations with no reason for being in place.

aragorn2003, Aug 3, 11:16pm
If there's roadworks actually going on or new seal etc then sure the speed is relevant but sometimes you get stupid reductions that are not necessary , maybe they forget to bring the signs in!

morrisjvan, Aug 3, 11:37pm
if drivers don't adhere to 100 km signs , it would be reasonable to assume a 30 km sign will have just as little impact.

red97, Aug 3, 11:41pm
what brand of radar do you use!

trouser, Aug 3, 11:46pm
The boy has well and truly cried wolf too many times.

74nova, Aug 3, 11:58pm
Whats the point if theres no work going on and the conditions are safe! I've been behind cops that don't slow down at temporary speed restriction signs. And if you slow down to the posted speed wait and see the que that quickly forms behind you following up your @rse.

lalbagh, Aug 4, 12:28am
another set of apparently irrelevant signs are the 70km/h decorations on the northwestern motorway at Lincoln- sit in the left lane at 70 at six in the morning and everyone is flying past at anything up to 100 in the fast lane. I mean everyone.
Either they should enforce them or remove them

chris.f, Aug 4, 3:04am
The speed limit through roadworks isn't totally to with the safety of workers but also to protect the surface until the final seal is down - speeding cars can undoall thehard work the road crew has done, meaning more cost and delays while it's repaired.

kecal, Aug 4, 3:19am
just returned from aucks today lots of roadworks there and in between to napier i agree no oneseemed to take any notice of those temp signs.

brants, Aug 4, 3:37am
This one.

If you speed through them be prepared for the ticket if theres a cop around.

The people who go the opposite way the white/blue arrows are pointing are the worst.

elect70, Aug 4, 3:53am
They often sit at the end & bookplentyspeeding , gets his daily quotaup real quick , leaving plenty of time to sit in cafeover latte&creamcakes

brants, Aug 4, 4:01am
I would if i was a cop.

Theres a roundabout in Hamilton by a police station they could sit outside all day giving tickets to people not indicating.

trogedon, Aug 4, 4:31am
True. We try and slow down but its harder when there are cars close up one's date. I can ride at 30 + kph on my bicycle on completed roads with roadworks signs but people in cars just have to pass me (whoa, can't let someone on a bike stay ahead of us.)

muzzaandmich, Aug 4, 4:38am
I don't care if there is a cue of 100 up my @rse if it's temp 30 then I slow down to 30 km even if the circus is on site or not. Too late when mr plod clicks the ticket

sr2, Aug 4, 5:00am
Problem is the signs are put there by traffic management companys who charge out by the day. It's in their interest to have the signs in place for longer than the roadworks take. It's no wonder that most Kiwi drivers take road work sinage with a grain of salt!

lalbagh, Aug 4, 6:19am
I doubt that. All road works are governed by a Traffic Management Plan which sets out what restrictions they can impose and for what duration. They can get introuble for leaving the signs out longer than the TMP allows, as that is a breach of the TMP. There would be no advantage in leaving them out for an extended period.
What usually happens is either the TMP is valid overnight for safety reasons (such as loose chip) or it is invalid overnight but the signs just get left out. The problem is that the law says you have to obey them irrespective of whether you think they are valid or not- the average driver cannot possibly know the terms and conditions of the TMP at each site, and a mistake leading to an accident could be fatal. The law is that you MUST obey red bordered signs, see the road code.
Prize for idiot of the week must go to the guy following me in 30k road works 6am at Universal Drive, who as soon as the road became two lane, undertook in the left lane and zoomed up to the lights, lights turned red when he was still 30-odd metres from them but he completely ignored them and shot the red. Another example of arrogant impatience.

sr2, Aug 4, 6:59am
lalbagh wrote:

I doubt that. All road works are governed by a Traffic Management Plan which sets out what restrictions they can impose and for what duration. They can get introuble for leaving the signs out longer than the TMP allows, as that is a breach of the TMP. There would be no advantage in leaving them out for an extended period.
[quote]
I beg to differ; I have a good friend who once ran a traffic management company. Apparently those applying for and those who issue the TMP??

morrisman1, Aug 4, 7:10am
last one that hacked me off, was a 30km sign to slow you down when there was a 1 square metre patch of gravel on the side of a road wide enough to have 4 lanes. It was there all weekend when nobody was working. The hazard was less imposing than a bloody parked car!

While that was happening another section of road works had a bit where they made you drive over a 1/2 metre pile of gravel in order to go over a plastic pipe they had there. Good test of vehicle articulation it was. Guess the speed limit! No temp signs so it was 50 km/h with workers everywhere.

Where is the common sense!

footplate1, Aug 5, 12:52am
In the days when I used to listen to the Police ban on my old scanner, I sometimes heard them using a 30 k stretch as a speed trap.A patrol at each end.

mrfxit, Aug 5, 1:18am
Nah it's pretty much always been that way.
Even back in the old MOW days they used to zoom on past & that was with the signs fairly close to the job

nightsky1, Aug 5, 2:15am
If some drivers are stupid enough to speed, then good on the cops.
It would be a bit silly being parked on a road where there was no speeding wouldn't it.
.or is that where you would sit.