Rough Idle/stalling on Legnum only once warm!

Page 1 / 2
shay60, Jul 29, 9:19pm
I have a 97 GDI Legnum thats having problems, Im geusing this is all to do with carbon build up but wondering if anyone knows other problems that could help or fix this rather than spending $2000 + on acid bathing, only when shes warm when I start her up she will idle real low and stall if I keep accelerator on slightly for couple of minutes shell be alright and once ive got goin for a bit its fine until i stop and start up again.Any help would be much apreciated!

andy61, Jul 29, 11:09pm
Get it fixed and you should find it will use less fuel because its running better.Get the inlet manifold cleaned out for a start.

johnf_456, Jul 30, 12:47am
Get it cleaned out

shay60, Jul 30, 3:08am
Car was only $2200 anyway and has done 250ks so I realise this is what needs to be done but coudnt justify spending that money on an old car so just thought maybe there were some suggestions out there of something that I could do aswell to help, someone suggested doing the 'bucket filter' so in the process of that too.Thanx anyways

phillip.weston, Jul 30, 5:55am
who quoted you $2000 to clean out the inlet manifold! that's ludicrous! The first thing I would do is pop off the inlet hose to the throttle body and clear out the build up of muck around the throttle plate. The fact that you have to hold the throttle open a little suggests the idle stepper motor is at the end of its adjustment because the crap around the throttle plate has been blocking it off completely. Should only take 15 mins with a petrol soaked rag and a 10mm spanner/ratchet&socket/scr-
ewdriver. Clearing out the whole inlet manifold beyond the throttle body is another matter altogether though.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 30, 5:57am
In the interests of science, can you please tell us what grade of fuel you have been running. Thanks, and best of luck with it.

BTW, phillip weston above, the indisputable Mitsubishi champion of the world,gives some great advice.

shay60, Jul 31, 10:11pm
Hey thanx I am a chick so will get some onto that lol!haha thanx
I use 95 and put those fuel cleaners throught every couple of months.
Mitsubishi motors in Nelson gave that price to acid bath evrything.When I first brought the car it would do it a little so I took it to mitsubishe they charged me $280 and made the problem worse as now it actually stalls, aparently they did work on the computer to make it run like it should but because of the carbon build up it made it worse!So didnt go back there.

vista5, Aug 1, 5:59am
Phillip.Weston where about is your repair shop i heed a good repair shop to do some repairs on mine Pajero IO GDI.

berg, Aug 1, 6:35am
Hasn't had a flat battery lately! If so, what PW said.

noah007, Aug 1, 6:44am
+1.btw I think PW is still overseas! Cheers

zephyrheaven, Aug 1, 7:20am
seafoam FTW

dave296, Aug 1, 8:13am
IDLE SPEED CONTROLO MOTOR. Should be a wee round thing attatched to the throttle body with a 6 pin plug on it. If you want to test it get out a multimeter and check continuity between the inside of the row of three and the outside two terminals as it is powered up from the middle and the ecu earthes out the outside pins. I'd test that before removing the intake and all that crap. Also only run these on 95 octane or they gum up the EGR valve. I have more stories for these if you wish.

phillip.weston, Aug 1, 8:22am
Does it float!

sred69, Aug 1, 8:44am
It's not the fuel you use that causes the problem but the engine oil, use a quality semi or prefably a fully synthetic engine oil and the problem of the manifold and back of valves carboning up is not a problem.
I would run on min 95 fuel purely for the economy and improved running

strobo, Aug 1, 6:44pm
Just finished on one , decarbon /out with the main ecu in with another , list of faults gone!$400 for 2nd hand ecu, labour 2 hours

the-lada-dude, Aug 1, 9:06pm
i really don't know the full story on why these mitsi engines have a build up in the inlet tract ! is it solidcarbonized material or a tar like build up !is it possible to inject a strong solvent( toluene or similar ) at or near the thottle body while the engine is in service to rid the system of this build up !

sred69, Aug 2, 7:52am
It's a sludge,tar like build up, in the uk the dealers had a walnut blaster that cleaned it up at the valves withought taking the head off. They remove the manifold turn the engine over till both valves closed on that cylinder then using different bent probes blast crushed walnut shells to break up the sludge, it had a vacuum attachment that sucked the walnut shell and sludge out. After you had done a few you could do a 4 cyl engine in just over a hour.

The later engines with the plastic intake manifolds and using full synth engine oil help to reduce the problem

sred69, Aug 2, 7:58am
Some people used to use Mr Muscle oven cleaner pull a vacuum pipe off and spray it into the manifold whilst the engine running to clean out the manifold and back of valves, Mitsubishi did supply a cleaning solution called schuma but I think this was found to be carcinogenic and was no longer available

usdefault, Aug 2, 8:37am
The yanks call it seafoam don't they!

Not sure if you can buy it here or in NZ though.

Apparently works vey well for this type of problem.

sred69, Aug 2, 9:02am
Seafoam was advertised by BNT in one of there flyers a couple of years ago but when I checked at local one they didn't have any or even find it as a available to order

supernova2, Aug 2, 12:51pm
Seafoam is available from a trader on TradeMe, just search for it.

incar., Aug 2, 12:59pm
i was in supresheep the other day and the guy showed me a product they have, so go into a store, ask for a product that removes carbon from inlet manifolds, i havent tried myself but they do stock it

shay60, Aug 2, 10:18pm
Thanx for all comments!I went back to mitsubishi yesterday to get written quote he told me definatly in the thousands!pffffttt am keen to try these things will update once tried to see if this cures the illness!

phillip.weston, Aug 2, 11:43pm
the problem you have is more than likely related to the throttlebody being a bit clogged up around the edges and the idle stepper motor needing to be reset. This is a relatively simple job and shouldn't take too long to do.

the blocked inlet manifold is a much larger issue and you would definitely know if that were the case - your car would be very much down on power at all times, it would use excess amounts of fuel and be spewing out black smoke from the exhaust.

beka979, Aug 2, 11:49pm
Maybe has dropped a coil or coils.Mine did that it dropped 2.You no to use red petrol and the thicker oil to dont you