New Barina

texastwo, Jul 29, 8:26pm
I'm a bit taken by the TV ads for the new Barina. Looks to be a beautifully finished car (on TV) tho I expect the reality will be different. These are actually Korean!What is their derivation! I seem to recall they had a terrible crash test rating a few years ago, not being claimed as 5 stars! Reading between the lines they appear to be unchanged except for upgraded bodies. However the price for a 1.6 litreis an incentive. Comments from users appreciated.

texastwo, Jul 29, 8:27pm
Sorry the crash testwording shouldsay "now 5 stars."

gman35, Jul 29, 8:53pm
Ever seen the "food photo preparation" articles , and how the burger you get at McD's always looks different than the pic on the wall ! , a car at this price will never be beautifully finished anyway, but they are a very average drive compared to (the admittedly more expensive) Fiesta , Mazda 2 etc. And to me the dash instrumentation would barely pass on a motorbike. Maybe ok for the $ if you must have a NEW car though !

thejazzpianoma, Jul 29, 9:32pm
I agree with gman35.
Given you could have a slightly used current model Polo for the same money you would have to be stark raving mad to buy the Barina.

Go and drive both, it should all become abundantly clear.

Oh and don't fall for any silly anti VW nonsense. The new Polo is immensly reliable, parts are cheap too as are service costs. Unfortunately though we live in a country of used imports that thrives on spreading nonsense about non-asian cars.

shelleigh, Jul 29, 9:34pm
I considered getting one but it looks so toy like - the dash looks silly.
So I bought a 2012 Fiesta LX auto hatch - and LOVE it!
It has the 6 speed dual clutch PowerShift so very peppy even when passing going uphill. Very economical and comfortable.
And lots of fun on windy roads :)

tigra, Jul 29, 9:43pm
But arent you talking and extra $6000!

shelleigh, Jul 29, 11:41pm
No definitely nowhere near that much more Tigra.
Where did you get that info from!

http://www.holden.co.nz/new-cars/barina/build-your-car http://www.ford.co.nz/cars/fiesta/price-list

tigra, Jul 30, 12:10am
Sorry shelleigh it was really just a guess. I had an idea that the Barinas were aound $18,000 and theFiesta about $24,000. LOLWell I was right about 1,I was remembering a promotion a couple of years ago when Holden were promoting the Barina at around $17,000. Obviously I shouldnt presume. cheers.

shelleigh, Jul 30, 12:19am
Funny you mention the Fiesta about $24,000 Tigra.
That's exactly what I paid for mine after counter offering the first price I was given.
Mine also had the mudflaps already on it - and they were going to cost nearly $300 (not sure if that included putting them on though) and also had the Fiesta mats in it.
Have never had a new car or an auto in 30 years of driving so am really loving driving an auto especially in places like Dunedin with all the hill.
I also love the Hill Assist where I can take my foot off the brake and have about 3 seconds to put my foot on the accelerator before the Fiesta starts rolling backwards.

fordcrzy, Jul 30, 6:17am
as others have said you would be STARK RAVING MADto buy a barina.
the fiesta is a FAR FAR FAR FAR better car than the barina, and if you dont want to spend the difference then find an ex demo fiesta for a good discount and usually you get some extras too.

eagles9999, Jul 31, 2:46am
I thought the ex-demo Fiestas all had to go back to the factory for refurbishing. 1000 kms of demo is all they can handle.

brapbrappy, Jul 31, 2:48am
So what is the Holden Barina really!

trouser, Jul 31, 5:10am
A GM (Chevrolet) T300 Aveo.

donz01, Jul 31, 10:37am
So what is the Holden Barina really!
2012 T300 Aveo US version
2012 Vauxhall Corsa UK version
2012 Opel Corsa maybe German version
2012 Suzuki Swift Jap Version
2012 Daewoo ! Korean version
A large amount are made in Spain. They are all pretty much the same car with maybe slight changes based on a GM platform. Google the year and model.

vtecintegra, Jul 31, 10:46am
The Swift is not related at all

I don't think the current Corsa is closely related either

phillip.weston, Jul 31, 12:07pm
Daewoo Kalos. Nothing to do with the Opel or Vauxhall Corsa or Suzuki Swift.

eagles9999, Jul 31, 8:51pm
yes its the Kalos but the Aussies have used the old 1.6 engine they have had in Barinas for years.

eagles9999, Jul 31, 8:53pm
Food preparation pics are a wholenewartform in themselves.I read somewhere a US advert to publicise Pizza Hut 's new pizza had 120 people involved in the ad and they nailed the pizza to a wooden base so that when it was cut it didnt move.LOL

slarty45, Jul 31, 10:34pm
Are you anti asian!

shelleigh, Jul 31, 10:48pm
Which year Eagles!
My 2012 Fiesta had just over 420kms when I bought it - now has over 2K on it with no problems.

eagles9999, Aug 1, 12:28am
It was meant to be facetious shelleigh

shelleigh, Aug 1, 12:29am
Cheeky bugger Eagles!
Good to know it's not just VW's people pick on lol

phillip.weston, Aug 1, 12:48am
And you think the 1.6 engine originates from Holden! It's an Opel sourced engine and the same engine family has been used across the Holden, Opel. Daewoo and Chevrolet model vehicles for 20 years now.