Gasket glue or not on a thermohousing ?

geminidragon, Jul 29, 9:52pm
just changing a thermostat do i use gasket glue or not thanks

bellky, Jul 29, 9:53pm
What about a gasket and goo.

budgel, Jul 29, 9:54pm
It shouldnt be neccessary, but I know a couple of mechanics who put a slight smear on each side to avoid comebacks.

geminidragon, Jul 29, 9:55pm
yes i will be using a gasket ,it comes in the kit ,just wanted to know if i have to spend more money on gasket goo

splinter67, Jul 29, 9:57pm
If you dont have any grease will do was you thermostat stuffed

bellky, Jul 29, 10:02pm
Fair enough. I've done it both ways. Like another^ poster says, you should be right without the goo if you have a gasket. I use goo if I have it handy. Gasket is more important than goo imo.

geminidragon, Jul 29, 10:04pm
will be going out today and getting it

splinter67, Jul 29, 10:09pm
Be interested to know if its stuffed or if your radiator clean out worked that well

geminidragon, Aug 11, 11:39pm
hi removed thermo housing and yes it had a thermo in there, it was in fully closed position so put it in a hot cup of water and it opened and when cold it closed ,hmmm seems ok .replaced anyway with a new thermo and within 10 mins the gauge reads quarter ,took it for a drive and it runs at between quarter and below half on the gauge ,looks like the old thermo may have been a bit dodgy

unbeatabull, Aug 11, 11:49pm
Just cause it opens and closes in a jug doesn't mean it is doing at A) the correct temperature and B) Opening all the way!

Have seen a lot of people say thermostats are fine when they aren't! In reality, with how cheap a thermostat is, the time it takes to pull one out and test it, it is easier (and cheaper to the customer) to chuck a new one in!

mugenb20b, Aug 12, 12:00am
Stop saying 'goo'.

splinter67, Aug 12, 12:05am
But he is so good at making baby noises

geminidragon, Aug 12, 1:04am
hi the one i fitted was a dayco brand from repcoi am taking it for a longer drive tommorrow down the motorway and i hope it will be ok ,just rechecked the water level and will have to add some more anti freeze as i lost quite a bit when i opened the housing up

elect70, Aug 12, 2:07am
The gasket will besufficient provided both surfaces are100% clean .If putglue on & itgets inside could cuase problems

geminidragon, Aug 12, 2:09am
i put a very thin layer of gasket cement on i hope it will be ok

splinter67, Aug 12, 2:10am
If its not leaking you will be fine

geminidragon, Aug 12, 5:56am
thanksi will keep an eye on temp tommorrow

geminidragon, Aug 13, 5:04am
all went well temp did not fluctuate and stayed around quarter ,very happy with it

richardmayes, Aug 13, 6:27am
A little tube of gasket goo might cost you a WHOLE ten dollars.
Bargain for the extra peace of mind of having a really good seal!

[Edit --oops, I see now, how late I am coming to this party!]

geminidragon, Aug 13, 6:51am
hi yes i bought a little red bottle of gasket cement for $7 and it worked a treat

splinter67, Aug 13, 6:54am
See what driving a ford dose to you go work on your triumph LOL

jmma, Aug 13, 6:56am
Probably needs the gasket goo on that (o:

splinter67, Aug 13, 6:59am
No its a triumph if its anything like a bonnie goo wont stop it leaking how do you know when your triumph needs oil . It stops leaking

1coppertone, Aug 13, 9:21am
I've used a light smear of grease on the thermostat gaskets for years works wonders. oh and ifthere's no grease at hand at the time i need it most i'll just pinch some from under the bonnet. just flick one of the caps off on top of one of the front struts and your find more than enough grease for you to complete the job right there.